Ice Jams on the Humber near my house - Aftermath

Started by Malthus, March 25, 2019, 08:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The Humber is a small river in Toronto where I regularly walk - but not this weekend. The park that borders the Humber was covered with the remains of a huge ice jam, and was basically impassible. It looks like large areas of the park have been erased by the grinding ice. A weird sight.

The ice is filled with bits of the trees it has destroyed:

An ice island, showing the thickness of the ice sheets - in places, 2-3 metres:

Trees ground into pulp by the ice:

This was the path down into the park:

Remains of the jam piled up against the bridge:

This used to be a grove or ornamental trees:

The road into the parking lot - now, with warning signs.  :lol:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

signs aren't bilingual.  No pity for the Francos who could wander in a dangerous area :(

It's terrible all the damage ice and water can do.  I hope the park is repaired for summer time.

Fortunately for me, there is a very, very small river near me, but it's so low that there is no danger it would ever flood me.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Danger, do not enter -  so of course Malthus entered and did all the things the signs said not to do. 

But I appreciate the pictures.  :D

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 25, 2019, 10:32:27 AM
Danger, do not enter -  so of course Malthus entered and did all the things the signs said not to do. 

But I appreciate the pictures.  :D

I like to live dangerously.  :D

Though the actual dangers are, in fact, all in the past - of getting caught in the flooding and ice grind. This is just the aftermath.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on March 25, 2019, 09:56:20 AM
signs aren't bilingual.  No pity for the Francos who could wander in a dangerous area :(

:D

Malthus

Heh, in context, the multiple signs are somewhat confusing.

This is the driveway to the parking lot, now covered in ice chunks. One sign says "area closed", does that mean the whole park or the parking lot? Do the signs mean you can't walk in, or can't drive in? The signs say "beware of flooding" and "ice unsafe", but those are clearly very specific warnings that don't apply here. Also, they tell you the walkways are not maintained, so use at own risk.

PDH

Quit trying to justify your breaking the sign law warnings, scofflaw.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Malthus

Quote from: PDH on March 25, 2019, 07:35:52 PM
Quit trying to justify your breaking the sign law warnings, scofflaw.

My sense of adventure got the better of me.  :D

What was funny, was that there was the occasional urban dog-walker attempting to take the path, crawling over ice and logs and through mud - it was clearly their usual route, and they weren't going to let a little thing like an ice apocalypse disrupt their routine!

Malthus

An update: I went back to the park, now that all the ice has long since melted.

The park is a mess, and will be for years I think. The damage the ice tsunami did was pretty spectacular.

View from above:

View from the ground, other side:

This sign was smashed to the ground & covered with flood debris, which kinda highlights the importance of its message (certainly anyone dumb or unlucky enough to be there at the time would have been killed - as far as I know, no-one was hurt)

These were plaques at a park information kiosk-like area, the tsunami snapped and twisted the metal:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Remind me to avoid the dangerous environment of Toronto, Ontario.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Humber is a dumb name.  Ohio is a much better name for a river. :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points