News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

statistics question

Started by Razgovory, March 22, 2019, 02:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

If an event has a 30% of happening and there are 100 attempts what is chance that it will happen at least once?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

It depends whether each attempt is independent.
If it is, the chance is extremely close to 100%.  1 - (0.7^100)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

In what situations wouldn't it be independent?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on March 22, 2019, 03:51:46 PM

Non-replacement.  I.e. you don't put the ball back in the jar after you pull it.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2019, 03:37:06 PM

How did you calculate it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

You calculate the chance that it never happens instead. 0.7^100 (70% 100 times). Once you know that, your subtract it from 1 (100% probability). So 100% minus the probability of no event will be what you are looking for.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2019, 04:25:07 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2019, 03:37:06 PM

How did you calculate it.

There's about a one in 3 thousand trillion chance of it not happening.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2019, 03:54:39 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 22, 2019, 03:51:46 PM

Non-replacement.  I.e. you don't put the ball back in the jar after you pull it.

This actually came up in the 2018 election.  A lot of election modelers gave Trump a very low chance to win because he was down in the polls in a bunch of different states.  They figured to win he'd have to string together a bunch of 20-30% chances, which is very unlikely if winning one doesn't increase your chance of winning another.  But a few modelers - 538 was one - didn't model those outcomes independently - i.e. they figured if Trump's support was actually stronger in Ohio then the polling suggested, he was probably also actually stronger in Pennsylvania and other places.  Of course that was the right way to look at it but immediately pre-election there was sharp debate on that point.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

There was?  It seems incredibly stupid for anyone with professional training to ignore correlation of surprises in voting outcomes, I'm surprised there can be a debate about it.  Then again, some professionals also assumed that mortgages default independently, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

FunkMonk

I remember the debate about it back then too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on March 27, 2019, 02:26:56 PM
There was?  It seems incredibly stupid for anyone with professional training to ignore correlation of surprises in voting outcomes, I'm surprised there can be a debate about it.  Then again, some professionals also assumed that mortgages default independently, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

On the one hand, you had people making sensible statistical arguments. On the other hand, the people making sensible statistical arguments were asserting that an unqualified idiot racist troll had a real chance to be elected president.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

Post from the old 2016 election thread

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2016, 03:00:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 03, 2016, 01:53:31 PM
Sam Wang has been giving Hillary 99% for quite a while, with fewer "intangibles" in their analysis than 538.

I took a quick glance at his FAQ.  I may not be understanding his method properly.  But it seems that he assumes away the possibility of correlated errors between states, which IMO will over-state certainty of outcome.  He also seems to assume pollster error is completely uncorrelated, with the same effect.

The eyeball test tells me that 99% vastly understates the degree of uncertainty inherent in the state polling and if I'm understanding the methodology correctly, I don't think its reliable.  Silver's model may be too swingey and fat-tailed but takes into account serial correlation.   
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Whew.

Quote from: DGuller on November 03, 2016, 05:53:24 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 03, 2016, 03:00:07 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 03, 2016, 01:53:31 PM
Sam Wang has been giving Hillary 99% for quite a while, with fewer "intangibles" in their analysis than 538.

I took a quick glance at his FAQ.  I may not be understanding his method properly.  But it seems that he assumes away the possibility of correlated errors between states, which IMO will over-state certainty of outcome.  He also seems to assume pollster error is completely uncorrelated, with the same effect.

The eyeball test tells me that 99% vastly understates the degree of uncertainty inherent in the state polling and if I'm understanding the methodology correctly, I don't think its reliable.  Silver's model may be too swingey and fat-tailed but takes into account serial correlation.   
If you're right about his methodology, then I definitely agree with you.  Assuming state-by-state uncertainty is uncorrelated is an extremely severe error of analysis.

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2017, 12:15:49 PM
Today my bathtub wasn't draining very quickly so I used a plunger.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Overall 538 did a pretty good job with the 16 election, arguably as good as in 2012 when they were feted for getting it "right".  A probability in the 30s is something that has a pretty decent likelihood of happening although it is somewhat more likely not to happen. 
--Joan Robinson