The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on February 14, 2022, 08:58:27 AM
It concerns me that they've cast both Celebrimbor (Charles Edwards) and Isildur (Maxim Baldy).  Isildur was born at least four seasons after Celebrimbor's death. No reason to cast the character now, unless they are really compressing the story.

Also of concern is the description of Galadriel as being younger and more impetuous than the Galadriel of TLOTR.  Younger, yes, but still thousands of years old.  I'll be pissed if they present her as some young hothead.  It's already bad enough that they are destroying the mystique of the High Elves by showing them so closely.

The story in the book takes place over thousands of years. There might be a few time skips between seasons, but to make a comprehensible television narrative there was inevitably going to be a huge amount of compressing the timeline.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Threviel

Galadriel was born in Aman, by the time of the war of the Silmarils she was already thousands of years old and had lived her life walking with the gods. In Beleriand she spent her time in Doriath and Nargothrond and into the second age she was the only surviving original leader of the Noldor. She was a ruler in Lindon and the founder of Eregion in the second age.

She was not some hothead by the second age and if she wanted warrioring and scouting to be done she had armies of high elves to do it for her, she was after all second in rank amongst all the still powerful elves in middle earth. Had she been a hothead in the first age she would have died in Dagor Bragollach, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, the fall of Doriath or the fall of Nargothrond. Even  surviving all that she would have died in the kinslaying at the mouths of Sirion. Instead she was thoughtful and careful and got the fuck away from superior force.

This shit will be a shitfest. If they haven't even bothered to read up on a main character and make her at least resemble the source material... Well... Fuck.

The Brain

I've seen suggested that Machiavelli wrote The Prince as a young hothead. He was in his 40s...
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

And I like the idea of portraying some regular people doing regular stuff, but a cute single healer mum meeting an elf for forbidden love sounds like what a focus group would recommend to attract female viewers. There's no driving force with a vision behind this.

The Brain

Threviel

And looking at the cast there's a lot of hobbits. The whole point of the hobbits was that they had never done anything even resembling something that affected the big world. They should not be in this. It's like they haven't read Tolkien and just gone with a fan-fic.

At least the candle ratio seems ok for now. :cry:

celedhring

What I've seen alluded to in the webs (don't know if there's a source or just fans fantheoryzing) is that Galadriel is still mourning the death of Finrod and seeks revenge, which makes her act rashly.

The Brain

HVC

Does this thing really have a billion dollar projected budget?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Threviel

Quote from: celedhring on February 15, 2022, 02:44:58 AM
What I've seen alluded to in the webs (don't know if there's a source or just fans fantheoryzing) is that Galadriel is still mourning the death of Finrod and seeks revenge, which makes her act rashly.

If she missed Finrod she could have gone west after the war of wrath and talked to him about it... The elves don't die.

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on February 15, 2022, 02:33:40 AM
And looking at the cast there's a lot of hobbits. The whole point of the hobbits was that they had never done anything even resembling something that affected the big world. They should not be in this. It's like they haven't read Tolkien and just gone with a fan-fic.

Maybe they do an anthology show that covers various eras and stories in shorter, multi-episode arcs, kinda like what Clone Wars did? Then you could throw in the Hobbits' fighting the Goblins under Bullroarer Took.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2022, 02:50:37 AM

It will do well among people who only read Hobbit/LOTR or only read The Silmarillon once(like me).
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 15, 2022, 03:23:25 AM
Quote from: HVC on February 15, 2022, 02:50:37 AM

It will do well among people who only read Hobbit/LOTR or only read The Silmarillon once(like me).

Yeah, I'm not sure they are caring overly much about the die hards who will either begrudginly watch it or refuse to watch it out of hand. Not a broad enough base on which to build a tentpole.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on February 15, 2022, 03:20:45 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 15, 2022, 02:33:40 AM

Maybe they do an anthology show that covers various eras and stories in shorter, multi-episode arcs, kinda like what Clone Wars did? Then you could throw in the Hobbits' fighting the Goblins under Bullroarer Took.
I still maintain that the fall of Arnor would have been a much better and more concise story to work with. It would have ancestors of familair characters, familiar characters, familiar races, familiar places, and more. Also, since it is entirely from the Appendices in RotK that they have the rights to, it wouldn't have needed to possibly make-up things whole cloth to not mess with copyright. It would have been a fun, and fully finished, Game of Thrones-esque story without need of an RR Martin to finish it. Since most people have zero clue on the story and even those who might can be surprised and invested in "previously unknown" characters, it would have been perfect. I fear for what they're trying to work with now not least of all due to the maddening scope of the project. It simply involves too many players, too much time, and too much backstory.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Honestly, my biggest worry for the show, is that Eregion's and Numenor's stories are essentially the same. Sauron arrives, tricks the noblemen of the kingdom to commit an act of hybris, the kingdom ends up destroyed, and there's an alliance between men and elves that defeats Sauron in a war. I guess they are really going to conflate them, because telling them one after the other doesn't strike me as particularly interesting.