The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Probably effortlessly, all they have really done is released a few pictures.

celedhring

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on February 10, 2022, 03:01:46 PM
Elrond has a very punchable face.

He also must have had a chin-ectomy at some point. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Had the same thought, I can't really remember how I pictured Elrond prior to the Jackson movies, but now he will always be Hugo.

The Larch

It's the same guy who played the young Eddard Stark in GoT.

Oexmelin

I am on team Threviel/Realistic Candles.

It looks a lot more like "people in (cheap) costume" than a living, breathing world (that I think, with some notable exceptions, Peter Jackson was able to achieve).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Which one is meant to be a dwarf? The black lady?-she seems the one with the build.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on February 10, 2022, 05:53:54 PM
Which one is meant to be a dwarf? The black lady?-she seems the one with the build.

Yes, and the one in the following picture as well, but that one has the traditional dwarven look we're all used to.

viper37

Quote from: Threviel on February 10, 2022, 02:00:44 PM
Larchie, Pratchett and Tolkien are in unison. They live secluded lives and look very similar to the men to the point that they are rarely seen, and if seen not recognized as women. http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Dwarf-women

This to me seems like an excellent way to make the dwarves special and to have female warriors.

Edit: One thing Jackson did right, Gimli on dwarf women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PmAQ9Opu4

Edit2: One thing I recently understood that he and lots of other people did wrong on the dwarves. They are not the scots of Middle Earth, they are the jews of Middle Earth. Their language is even based on Hebrew. I don't see what that changes, but apparently that's how Tolkien saw them.
I interpreted the beard thing as a joke by Aragorn.
That most Dwarf women look like men in the time of Gimli may not be invalidated by the look of a dwarven princess.  If you look at medieval human princesses, they looked a lot different than peasant women.  I had pictures of some maternal ancestors here (gave it back to my aunt, it means much more to her than me), from the end of the mid-end 18th century (ca 1870-1880), so early colonization period for the village where my mom grew up; it was very heard to distinguish who was the man, who was the women.
As for the rest of the pictures... the one with the tree looks very, very, very synthetic to me. Maybe it's because the picture was retouched by Photoshop, I don't know.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

After the disastrous and embarrassing Hobbit trilogy I just kind of decided emotionally that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was all the Middle Earth content I needed. So I am not really interested in this series at all...but hey there is always room for something good so I guess if it gets rave reviews I might check it out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2022, 09:43:11 PM
After the disastrous and embarrassing Hobbit trilogy I just kind of decided emotionally that the Lord of the Rings trilogy was all the Middle Earth content I needed. So I am not really interested in this series at all...but hey there is always room for something good so I guess if it gets rave reviews I might check it out.

This.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 10, 2022, 03:26:03 PM
I am on team Threviel/Realistic Candles.

Ohh,  :blush:

And to expand on another thing, the story seems so tired and tropefull. Mysterious men with a troubled past, the single mom healer meeting an elf for forbidden love, the woman rising up to the demands of war (Galadriel being some commander makes me think that they are omitting Gil-Galad :cry:)

It just seems like a tired mess...

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2022, 09:43:11 PM

Same.

Josquius

I'll probably watch it at some point. Much like I'll get onto wheel of time eventually. But I'm not bouncing in my seat waiting as I was for the LOTR films.
But then things in general were exciting then.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

And continuing my anal analyzing thing I just read today, in a totally unrelated place, that t-shirts were invented in the late 19th century and needed knitting machines.

Fuck it, fantasy shows should have historical advisors.