The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Martin is an ignorant hack. Sure, he can craft stories and tell them well, but he does not in any way what so ever grok history.

That pedant blog is a good read and a good place to compare Tolkien and Martin.

Syt

I started reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (originally from a list of "fantasy series that supposedly end satisfyingly).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardens_of_the_Moon

I kinda got stuck 25 or 30% in. He throws a lot of stuff at you and - as it seems to me at least - often presents it in a way as if you should be familiar with past events and certain places and characters he references. That can be great to draw you in and get you intrigued, but it also made me feel fairly lost.

It's a ten book series for those interested. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

Quote from: Threviel on February 07, 2022, 02:21:36 PM
Martin is an ignorant hack. Sure, he can craft stories and tell them well, but he does not in any way what so ever grok history.

:wacko:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on February 07, 2022, 02:15:07 PM
The problem with Tolkien is that almost all his characters are cardboard cutouts. I still love his stuff, but damn.

"Archetypes", dear the Brain. We call them "archetypes".

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2022, 02:23:22 PM
I started reading Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson (originally from a list of "fantasy series that supposedly end satisfyingly).

I kinda got stuck 25 or 30% in. He throws a lot of stuff at you and - as it seems to me at least - often presents it in a way as if you should be familiar with past events and certain places and characters he references. That can be great to draw you in and get you intrigued, but it also made me feel fairly lost.

I abandoned the series at about the same point for the same reason. I don't think I'll ever return to it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2022, 02:23:42 PM
Quote from: The Brain on February 07, 2022, 02:15:07 PM
The problem with Tolkien is that almost all his characters are cardboard cutouts. I still love his stuff, but damn.

"Archetypes", dear the Brain. We call them "archetypes".

:blush: Sorry, George Lucas.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Habbaku on February 07, 2022, 02:24:06 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 07, 2022, 02:23:22 PM

I abandoned the series at about the same point for the same reason. I don't think I'll ever return to it.

In my case it might not have helped that I started it as audio book (and then switched to kindle).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 07, 2022, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 07, 2022, 01:58:55 PM
Yeah, Tolkien is probably one of the reasons I don't read much fantasy honestly - it's just not good enough in comparison.

I think the problem is that far too many try to emulate (copy) his work.  Any reproduction is bound to be pale by comparison.  But every once in a while someone tries to do something original.  Martin is a good example, and one of my favs Guy Gavriel Kay.

By the way, Kay was actually on a high school basketball team and was a bench warmer (one of my partners was on the same team).  That little tidbit will be a bit more meaningful for people who read his early novels.  :)

I like Kay's stuff - his thing is to create fantasy worlds patterned after actual history, which I enjoy.

Another work of completely non-Tolkien fantasy is Gormenghast/Titus Groan, which I like but is not for everyone.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on February 07, 2022, 03:28:13 PM
Another work of completely non-Tolkien fantasy is Gormenghast/Titus Groan, which I like but is not for everyone.

Yeah, those were pretty interesting. I read the frist two or three, but not all IIRC.

Eddie Teach

His job is to craft stories, not history.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 07, 2022, 04:18:48 PM

His job is to craft stories, not history.

Though he did craft a history, and a pretty good one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

I'm not particularly fond of Martin, but I can definitely see the itch he scratches for the folks that enjoy him.

jimmy olsen

That pedant blog is a good read and a good place to compare Tolkien and Martin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Threviel

Martins descriptions of logistics, strategy, tactics and so on are on a low level. It's like a school kid reading some history and playing some games and then building a world based on that.

Yeah, he writes a good story, but it's not consequent and it is unrealistic by its own standard and rules. He is not alone in that, he is head and shoulders above most fantasy writers, but that is damning with faint praise.

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on February 08, 2022, 03:35:41 AM
Martins descriptions of logistics, strategy, tactics and so on are on a low level.

Jeez, the guy is writing novels, not military essays. If you're bothered by that maybe you're too much of a nerd for those topics to enjoy the story, which is what really matters. Is the charge of the Rohirrim ok, then?  :P

I mean, Martin is in no way a perfect writer, there are other aspects of his writing and world building that I don't enjoy (IMO, the guy has no sense of scale whatsoever), but it's not something that prevents me from appreciating the story he's telling as a whole.