The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

Quote from: The Larch on February 08, 2022, 04:05:00 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 08, 2022, 03:35:41 AM
Martins descriptions of logistics, strategy, tactics and so on are on a low level.

Jeez, the guy is writing novels, not military essays. If you're bothered by that maybe you're too much of a nerd for those topics to enjoy the story, which is what really matters. Is the charge of the Rohirrim ok, then?  :P

I mean, Martin is in no way a perfect writer, there are other aspects of his writing and world building that I don't enjoy (IMO, the guy has no sense of scale whatsoever), but it's not something that prevents me from appreciating the story he's telling as a whole.

I was making a comment on Martins understanding of history and then I expanded on that, contrasted with Tolkien where the charge of the Rohirrim is very much an example of Tolkien knowing his shit.

I might be too nerdish. :blush:

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on February 08, 2022, 04:22:45 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 08, 2022, 04:05:00 AM
Quote from: Threviel on February 08, 2022, 03:35:41 AM
Martins descriptions of logistics, strategy, tactics and so on are on a low level.

Jeez, the guy is writing novels, not military essays. If you're bothered by that maybe you're too much of a nerd for those topics to enjoy the story, which is what really matters. Is the charge of the Rohirrim ok, then?  :P

I mean, Martin is in no way a perfect writer, there are other aspects of his writing and world building that I don't enjoy (IMO, the guy has no sense of scale whatsoever), but it's not something that prevents me from appreciating the story he's telling as a whole.

I was making a comment on Martins understanding of history and then I expanded on that, contrasted with Tolkien where the charge of the Rohirrim is very much an example of Tolkien knowing his shit.

I might be too nerdish. :blush:

Might be, candle boy? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

So this is mostly going to be fan fiction?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Threviel

Seems like the regular crowd will go apeshit over race again...

Is that supposed to be Galadriel in armour?

Dwarven women look very similar to dwarven men, so it is very unclear what the dwarvish looking woman is supposed to be...

The wood-elf might be whatshisname, the dude with the hill that drowned and got a hill named for him in Lothlorien.

Josquius

Heh, thought the same on the black lady
The bottom photo confused me a bit at first. Thought "wait what? This is some real final fantasy style post apocalyptic stuff. Had no idea LOTR was like that..." Then I figured it was a photo of the set rather than of the product
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on February 10, 2022, 11:53:22 AM

Yes, in the original article it mentions who is each character in each picture. The guy sitting in the field is Elrond, btw.

QuoteDwarven women look very similar to dwarven men, so it is very unclear what the dwarvish looking woman is supposed to be...

It's meant to be "Dwarven princess Disa, standing at the entrance of Khazad-dum".

QuoteThe wood-elf might be whatshisname, the dude with the hill that drowned and got a hill named for him in Lothlorien.

If you mean the one with the torch, it's a new character created for the show called Arondir.

Jacob

Seems like the regular crowd will go apeshit over race again...

Dwarven women look very similar to dwarven men, so it is very unclear what the dwarvish looking woman is supposed to be...

The wood-elf might be whatshisname, the dude with the hill that drowned and got a hill named for him in Lothlorien.

Agree with you on the charge of the Rohirrim (it's excellent in the book, ridiculous in the film).

How should dwarven women look, your opinion?

The Larch

Regarding dwarven women, I quite like Pratchett's take on them, that they also have beards like the men, and distinguishing a male from a female dwarf is a very private affair.  :lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on February 10, 2022, 12:28:52 PM

Something that is book faithful and extremely boring.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 10, 2022, 01:16:29 PM

Something that is book faithful and extremely boring.

I'm not well versed in the secondary lore, but from what I've read there's nothing about that dwarf woman that contradicts what Tolkien wrote. Which is why I'm asking - it's very possible there's somthing I've missed or forgotten.

Threviel

Larchie, Pratchett and Tolkien are in unison. They live secluded lives and look very similar to the men to the point that they are rarely seen, and if seen not recognized as women. http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Dwarf-women

This to me seems like an excellent way to make the dwarves special and to have female warriors.

Edit: One thing Jackson did right, Gimli on dwarf women: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-PmAQ9Opu4

Edit2: One thing I recently understood that he and lots of other people did wrong on the dwarves. They are not the scots of Middle Earth, they are the jews of Middle Earth. Their language is even based on Hebrew. I don't see what that changes, but apparently that's how Tolkien saw them.

Threviel

The human dude seems to be called Halbrand, someone with a mysterious past  :yawn:

He's one of the shipwrecked, together with Galadriel (Who is apparently some kind of action hero in this series).

His name indicates Dunedain, but they are still millennias into the future. The Numenoreans should be named in Adûnaic, so he's probably not one of them.

Who cares really, it's quite apparent that this show will be on the level of WoT and not a new Song of ice and fire. :cry: :bleeding: :x

ulmont

Quote from: Threviel on February 10, 2022, 02:00:44 PM
Edit2: One thing I recently understood that he and lots of other people did wrong on the dwarves. They are not the scots of Middle Earth, they are the jews of Middle Earth. Their language is even based on Hebrew. I don't see what that changes, but apparently that's how Tolkien saw them.

Yes, definitely how Tolkien saw them, but it's not a good look to have your Jewish-based race also be bignosed and greedy...

mongers

How are they going to sustain this level of hype another 6-7 months?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"