The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

Started by Threviel, March 10, 2019, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threviel

I wouldn't very much care, but I don't se how they could do the slow turn to evil of Númenor that way. In general societies don't turn from Norway to Afghanistan in a generation.

I still think the fall of Númenor and the war of the last alliance is the better story. You have good humans in western Númenor and in Arnor and Gondor, and you have dark Númenoreans everywhere else. There's tension between the Edain and the lesser men inhabiting the colonies where even good Edain can be shown to do bad stuff. There's hedonistic orgies and human sacrifice if you want to go full GoT. There's youthful heroes in Isildur and Anarion, and an Aragorn-type in Elendil. Sauron has a big part and can be shown as a Littlefinger evil schemer. There's material for a full show without all the human and dwarves dying of old age all the time. And, last but not least, you can have Legolas in it.

Threviel

Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2019, 03:24:10 AM
After reading that timeline, my first reaction is that Sauron seems to lose time after time.  Then I realise that he rises again after each defeat.  Could be interesting to see his perspective.

He loses a few times in Silmarillion as well.

Josquius

Is this in the period where the world was flat and you went up a sea bridge to heaven and all that craziness?
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Threviel on March 11, 2019, 03:32:25 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 11, 2019, 03:24:10 AM
After reading that timeline, my first reaction is that Sauron seems to lose time after time.  Then I realise that he rises again after each defeat.  Could be interesting to see his perspective.

He loses a few times in Silmarillion as well.

Not to mention that he was originally only the #2 baddy.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Threviel on March 11, 2019, 03:31:45 AM
I wouldn't very much care, but I don't se how they could do the slow turn to evil of Númenor that way. In general societies don't turn from Norway to Afghanistan in a generation.

I still think the fall of Númenor and the war of the last alliance is the better story. You have good humans in western Númenor and in Arnor and Gondor, and you have dark Númenoreans everywhere else. There's tension between the Edain and the lesser men inhabiting the colonies where even good Edain can be shown to do bad stuff. There's hedonistic orgies and human sacrifice if you want to go full GoT. There's youthful heroes in Isildur and Anarion, and an Aragorn-type in Elendil. Sauron has a big part and can be shown as a Littlefinger evil schemer. There's material for a full show without all the human and dwarves dying of old age all the time. And, last but not least, you can have Legolas in it.

The slow turn would be difficult to convey in a TV show though. You'd probably focus on leaders being corrupted and that limits you to their lifetimes, hence why compressing the timeline would make sense from a TV perspective. It also helps pack the show with more events - If you want to do slow-burn in an epic show you need truly great writing like peak GoT.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Threviel on March 11, 2019, 03:18:18 AM

3209 Isildur is born
3262 Númenoreans kick Saurons ass again and this time captures him and brings him home
3319 Fall of Númenor, Arnor and Gondor founded
3430 War of the last alliance, the stuff shown in the beginning of Fellowship.

This would by far be the better of the two options.  I still wish they'd gone with the Kin-Strife, but this could be amazing as well.  The downside is the already mentioned longer gaps inbetween events.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Threviel

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2019, 03:36:05 AM
Is this in the period where the world was flat and you went up a sea bridge to heaven and all that craziness?

Yes and no, the downfall of Númenor is when the world turns round and the lands of the gods are moved from this world, creating the need for the secret bridge that only elves can travel on.

Threviel

So it seems it will be the forging of the rings and the  war between the elves and Sauron. Lots of elves and unnamed orcs and immortal ring wraiths so low risk of confused viewer with them.

What will probably confuse is that every human and dwarf will only be around for an episode or two, since the story takes place over centuries and milleniums.

I read that the trailer was done with real forms and real metal and not entirely made on computer. Bodes well if that is the attitude of the production.

celedhring

I have this nagging suspicion that they will merge the timelines of the forging of the rings and the fall of Numenor.

It's what I would do  :blush:

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on January 20, 2022, 07:16:22 AMI read that the trailer was done with real forms and real metal and not entirely made on computer. Bodes well if that is the attitude of the production.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_yTMST7mw

The Larch

Tons of promotional pictures featuring more than 20 characters of the show have been published today, without saying who is who (and the pictures omit the heads). Here are a few of the coolest ones. Does anyone feel like trying to name who is who?

The full set is in the show's official Twitter account.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Threviel on January 20, 2022, 07:16:22 AM
I read that the trailer was done with real forms and real metal and not entirely made on computer. Bodes well if that is the attitude of the production.

Oh, excitement level now increased!

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on February 03, 2022, 05:59:53 PM
Tons of promotional pictures featuring more than 20 characters of the show have been published today, without saying who is who (and the pictures omit the heads). Here are a few of the coolest ones. Does anyone feel like trying to name who is who?

Durin III

An elf, presumably Celebrimbor

Ciryatur, commander of the Numenorean expeditionary force

One of the Blue Wizards.  I wonder what the show will name him, given that Tolkien never even hinted at their names.

Dunno. A peasant type, it looks to me, but there were no peasant heroes in the War of the Elves and Sauron as told by Tolkien.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

QuoteOne of the Blue Wizards.  I wonder what the show will name him, given that Tolkien never even hinted at their names.

I thought that might be Isildur, with the broken Narsil in hand.

QuoteDunno. A peasant type, it looks to me, but there were no peasant heroes in the War of the Elves and Sauron as told by Tolkien.

There are several non regal looking characters featured, I wonder who they might be: