Philadelphia Bans ‘Cashless’ Stores Amid Growing Backlash

Started by jimmy olsen, March 09, 2019, 10:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

What about homeless people. They can't buy a cup of coffee anymore?

Josquius

"I don't carry money" has become my stock response to the homeless :ph34r:

Tried searching for the article about Sweden and failed. I recall Ikea was until recently one of the last havens for the old to get food without cash.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 10, 2019, 12:04:59 PM
Does the Swedish government give out free credit card readers? There are lots of transactions where cash is the only practical method of exchange.

People typically use an app called Swish for everyday transactions between individuals and paying stuff without using a card reader. It's been several years since I last encountered a need for cash in Sweden.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 12:20:06 PM

Beggars and homeless often use cashless methods in Sweden. I haven't yet seen a beggar refuse to accept cash, mind.

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on March 10, 2019, 01:49:29 PM

Beggars and homeless often use cashless methods in Sweden. I haven't yet seen a beggar refuse to accept cash, mind.

From the article: Another concern is that the majority of local bank branches have stopped letting people take out cash or even bring cash into the bank.

That's just crazy.

I'm sure the banks are thrilled about this change. What's nice is that they pass on the massive savings to their customers.

Right?

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 02:23:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on March 10, 2019, 01:49:29 PM

From the article: Another concern is that the majority of local bank branches have stopped letting people take out cash or even bring cash into the bank.

That's just crazy.

I'm sure the banks are thrilled about this change. What's nice is that they pass on the massive savings to their customers.

Right?

Why would you take out cash in a bank in Sweden?

Zoupa

Just ban it already then. Why leave choice to the customer?

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 02:54:11 PM
Just ban it already then. Why leave choice to the customer?

What are you talking about?

Zoupa

The deliberately obtuse thing only works for Yi, and barely at that.

Nice dodge on the banks trickling down the savings too.

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 04:29:29 PM

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 04:29:29 PM

Unlike some people in the article I haven't advocated any use of force in this matter. I have consistently been on the side of choice. Therefore I found your comment difficult to understand, and asked for clarification.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

I haven't used cash in at least a year, apart from the couple of weeks abroad.
Public transport and small stores are starting to ban cash, it's only a matter of time before it's gone completely.
But I do think there should be a longer transition period, especially for the elderly.

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 02:23:39 PM

That's just crazy.

My bank doesn't have local branches I could bring it to, it's never been a problem.

Threviel

I was in China for work last year and what quite surprised me was that no-one seemed to use cash. I was in Beijing and Ningbo, so it might be a big city thing though. Apparently they used an app that was unusable for tourists, since you needed a whatever number from the state. Visa was not accepted unless it was a big store, only foreigners seemed to use cards.

Quite easy to see why the Chinese state would want its people to use apps.

Anyone left with more know-how? Jacob?