Our family was asked to be a Numeris (think Canadian Neilsen ratings) family

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2019, 09:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I vaguely remember answering a phone survey a couple of weeks ago.  Today in the mail I received a brochure (complete with a $2 coin) inviting us to be a ratings family, and they followed up with a phone call tonight.

It's an interesting system.  Everyone in the family (including the kids) are supposed to wear a small device, around the size of a small cellphone.  It passively listens in to a signal embedded in any TV or radio signals you are listening to.  They in turn will pay $5-$10 per month per person.

What say you Languish?  Should the Barrister family participate?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2019, 09:57:24 PM
I vaguely remember answering a phone survey a couple of weeks ago.  Today in the mail I received a brochure (complete with a $2 coin) inviting us to be a ratings family, and they followed up with a phone call tonight.

It's an interesting system.  Everyone in the family (including the kids) are supposed to wear a small device, around the size of a small cellphone.  It passively listens in to a signal embedded in any TV or radio signals you are listening to.  They in turn will pay $5-$10 per month per person.

Privacy trumps a few pennies.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on March 07, 2019, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2019, 09:57:24 PM

Privacy trumps a few pennies.

They say it doesn't listen to audible noise, just for these electronic signals embedded in the shows.

Admiral Yi

Why not?  I did a week or so of Nielsen radio rating a cuppa five years back.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2019, 10:04:20 PM

It would amuse me when someone realizes there is a huge spike in the ratings of Winnipeg Jets games in Edmonton. :)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2019, 10:05:53 PM
It would amuse me when someone realizes there is a huge spike in the ratings of Winnipeg Jets games in Edmonton. :)

They ask more than one family at a time.  :secret:

Grey Fox

Yes.

I've been trying to be one for a decade now. (Need to get the Quebec TVA numbers, way way down.)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2019, 10:17:11 PM

They ask more than one family at a time.  :secret:

There's only about 4500 families, or 11000 people, nationwide.  When you break that down to individual markets, one person could have quite the impact. :shifty:

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 07, 2019, 10:18:12 PM
Yes.

I've been trying to be one for a decade now. (Need to get the Quebec TVA numbers, way way down.)
when they don't register any TVA signal, they discard the data as an anomaly. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I always wanted one of those, then again, that's why people that work in the media are barred from participating.  :P

Incidentally, I remember a movie where the main character was a failed TV writer that becomes an overnight success when he finds the list of houses that have the system installed, and sneaks inside to tune them to his shows while the families are away. Anybody else has seen it and remembers the title?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 07, 2019, 10:04:20 PM

:lol:

Remember, with great power comes great responsibility.

Zoupa

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on March 10, 2019, 02:27:14 PM
No. Why the hell would you?

But it's Free* stuff man, why would you?

*defined as no apparent costs, just hidden ones.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"