Jeff Bezos calls out AMI (National Enquirer) for blackmail

Started by Barrister, February 07, 2019, 10:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on February 07, 2019, 10:36:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 07, 2019, 10:30:13 PM
https://medium.com/@jeffreypbezos/no-thank-you-mr-pecker-146e3922310f

Long but worth the read.

Exec.sum. please.

National Enquirer threatens to publish Bezos' dick picks unless he calls of investigation into how AMI got his texts and agrees that AMI did not act for a political purpose.  Bezos declines, and publishes AMI's blackmail emails.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 07, 2019, 10:49:19 PM
Man the National Enquirer seems dumb as fuck.

Yup.  In particular since they already made a settlement with prosecutors over the Stormy Daniels situation.

Barrister

chipwich

If it's blackmail why did he "call out" NE to the public instead of the District Attorney?

PRC

Zoupa

Barrister

Quote from: chipwich on February 07, 2019, 11:50:30 PM
If it's blackmail why did he "call out" NE to the public instead of the District Attorney?

Blackmail by itself is not a crime.  "Don't do X or else I will do Y" doesn't break any laws.  AMI publishing intimate pictures of Bezos is probably not an offence by itself (which AMI goes at length to establish in their emails).

Doesn't make it any less sleazy though.

Richard Hakluyt

I approve of Bezos' approach, as would the Duke of Wellington, "publish and be damned".

viper37

Quote from: PRC on February 08, 2019, 12:25:28 AM
How did AMI get the images?
AMI got tipped of about the relationship by the brother of his new girlfriend, one of Donald Trump's friend.

Either he took his sister's phone and sent pictures to AMI, or AMI got the phone number and hacked through it, or AMI hired someone to find dirt on Bezos by any possibly mean.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DGuller

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2019, 12:48:21 AM

Blackmail by itself is not a crime.  "Don't do X or else I will do Y" doesn't break any laws.  AMI publishing intimate pictures of Bezos is probably not an offence by itself (which AMI goes at length to establish in their emails).

I'm not sure that's quite true in the US.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on February 15, 2019, 01:12:33 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 08, 2019, 12:48:21 AM

I'm not sure that's quite true in the US.

Technically it is true in the US.  As I understand it, it's only a crime if it's used to extort money or something else of economic value, or to get someone to do something that would be illegal in and of itself.  If you had pics of Bezo's penis, and threatened to publish the unless he showed up at your sister's birthday party and sang happy birthday to her, that wouldn't be illegal because him being there and singing doesn't have economic value (if you tried the same thing on, say, John Mellencamp, that might be different), nor is it illegal for him to attend your sister's party.