News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch former Islam-critic converts to Islam

Started by Syt, February 06, 2019, 04:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

The situation in the US isn't all that dissimilar--though Protestants here outnumber Catholics by more than 2 to 1, there are far more Catholics than members of any single Protestant denomination.  Of course, Americans are far more religious than almost any other Western country.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on February 07, 2019, 12:19:44 PM
The situation in the US isn't all that dissimilar--though Protestants here outnumber Catholics by more than 2 to 1, there are far more Catholics than members of any single Protestant denomination.  Of course, Americans are far more religious than almost any other Western country.

Far more religious? We are up to about 20% irreligious at this point. And that is just the people claiming no religion, you also have to consider lots of people who claim a religion but are not particularly observant.

But then maybe the standard of claiming to be "far more religious" is pretty low in the West these days :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on February 07, 2019, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: dps on February 07, 2019, 12:19:44 PM

Far more religious? We are up to about 20% irreligious at this point.

Pretty sure that still leaves us more religious than almost any other Western country.  Last stats I saw on the subject (which were admittedly outdated, and I take some of them with a grain of salt anyway) suggested that the only Western countries that might equal or exceed the US in this regard were Ireland and Italy.

Maladict

Quote from: Maladict on February 07, 2019, 09:09:50 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2019, 08:49:16 AM

Yes, the parts south of the Rhine/Meuse stayed solidly Catholic, and still are. Then, going north, you get a thin Bible Belt of rabid protestant fanatics. After that, only heathens and Muslims.

The Duke of Alba would be proud.

Definitely.

Catholic / Protestant / Non-religious

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I always thought Geldreland and Friesland was quite rural and hicky. Seems they're the most progressive Dutch after Holland?
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2019, 01:11:51 PM
I always thought Geldreland and Friesland was quite rural and hicky. Seems they're the most progressive Dutch after Holland?

How does that follow from the map?

Gelderland is all over the place, from some of the most left-leaning cities to villagers who will string you up if you make a sound on a Sunday.

Friesland is very rural but I wouldn't call it hicky. It's quite a cultured place actually, even though it's hard to understand their funny language.

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on February 07, 2019, 04:12:24 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2019, 01:11:51 PM

How does that follow from the map?

Gelderland is all over the place, from some of the most left-leaning cities to villagers who will string you up if you make a sound on a Sunday.

Friesland is very rural but I wouldn't call it hicky. It's quite a cultured place actually, even though it's hard to understand their funny language.

Got my provinces mixed up, meant Groningen
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on February 07, 2019, 04:18:27 PM

Got my provinces mixed up, meant Groningen

Ah ok. The city of Groningen is extremely progressive, but it's an island in an ocean of hicks.

In the east, close to the German border, some old school communists still survive. Lenin statues and everything.