News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch former Islam-critic converts to Islam

Started by Syt, February 06, 2019, 04:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on February 06, 2019, 01:36:12 PM
Also, this guy has become a bit of a running joke in Spain: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Verstrynge

From cryptofascist to mainstream right, then mainstream left, then far left, then populist left. He's held semi-prominent party posts in all his different eras.

Best of it, is that the guy is coming full circle and nowadays he praises Marine and the FN.

Makes sense, Marine's and FN/RN program for last presidential election had a leftish slant, economics-wise.  :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 06, 2019, 04:52:42 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 06, 2019, 01:21:06 PM
Mahler was always an anti-Semite, e.g. consider his reaction and that of the RAF at the killings of the Israeli athletes at Munich.  Leninism->Maoism--> Nazism is just exchanging one incoherent set of rationales for another.

I thought Mahler was a Jew.  And dead for like 100 years.

Gustav Mahler, the composer was.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

He was raised an "orthodox Protestant Christian"? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Does "vrij"  mean "free".  I get a weird cognate vibe from that word.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

So Roman Catholics are still the single largest religious group in the Netherlands?  :pope: The more you know...

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on February 07, 2019, 05:16:12 AM
Does "vrij"  mean "free".  I get a weird cognate vibe from that word.

Yes, it does. And as usual when used to self-identify, meaning the opposite.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2019, 05:43:44 AM
So Roman Catholics are still the single largest religious group in the Netherlands?  :pope: The more you know...

Well, since the Protestant denominations were never united that was always the case.
But I think Catholics have outnumbered all Protestants combined since WW2, Protestantism has completely collapsed during the last century.

Of course religious people as a whole are a minority now, so it's not much of a victory for the papists.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on February 07, 2019, 07:37:38 AM

Well, since the Protestant denominations were never united that was always the case.
But I think Catholics have outnumbered all Protestants combined since WW2, Protestantism has completely collapsed during the last century.

Of course religious people as a whole are a minority now, so it's not much of a victory for the papists.

Yes, I'm aware that Protestant denominations are quite split. What surprised me was that there are still so many Catholics in the country.

Threviel

What surprises me is that some dutch people went orthodox in the 1056 split. That sound like an interesting story.

Unless it's immigration from the 20th century. But then there should be lot's of other earlier denominations also. Syriacs, copts et.al.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2019, 08:49:16 AM

Yes, I'm aware that Protestant denominations are quite split. What surprised me was that there are still so many Catholics in the country.

Yes, the parts south of the Rhine/Meuse stayed solidly Catholic, and still are. Then, going north, you get a thin Bible Belt of rabid protestant fanatics. After that, only heathens and Muslims.

Maladict

Quote from: Threviel on February 07, 2019, 08:51:38 AM
What surprises me is that some dutch people went orthodox in the 1056 split. That sound like an interesting story.

Unless it's immigration from the 20th century. But then there should be lot's of other earlier denominations also. Syriacs, copts et.al.

I would say mostly immigrants from eastern Europe.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on February 07, 2019, 09:09:50 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 07, 2019, 08:49:16 AM

Yes, the parts south of the Rhine/Meuse stayed solidly Catholic, and still are. Then, going north, you get a thin Bible Belt of rabid protestant fanatics. After that, only heathens and Muslims.

The Duke of Alba would be proud.