Which Venezuelan President is Legitimate?

Started by derspiess, February 05, 2019, 12:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Based on your understanding of the current situation in Venezuela, which Venezuelan President is Legitimate?

Nicolas Maduro
2 (6.7%)
Juan Guaidó
14 (46.7%)
Comandante Jarón
14 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Razgovory

In a corrupt kleptocracy nobody is a legitimate anything.  Now is the time of the protest and uprising not legitimacy.  Guaido is a good enough figure to rally around.  When Maduro is gone the people of Venezuala can have real elections with real legitimacy.  Until then, everything is up in the air.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2019, 04:49:05 PM
I just wonder how Guaido hasn't been arrested yet.

He was detained a couple weeks ago and then released two hours later.  Maduro claims he had nothing to do with it. 

I think Maduro is just being cautious.  He knows if Guaido is arrested, things will escalate both inside and outside the country.  I don't think Maduro has any plans to give in or concede anything.  He keeps saying he's ready to "have talks", but that's not to be trusted, given his and Chavez's history.  What would he be willing to talk about, anyway?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2019, 05:30:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2019, 04:49:05 PM
I just wonder how Guaido hasn't been arrested yet.

He was detained a couple weeks ago and then released two hours later.  Maduro claims he had nothing to do with it. 

I think Maduro is just being cautious.  He knows if Guaido is arrested, things will escalate both inside and outside the country.  I don't think Maduro has any plans to give in or concede anything.  He keeps saying he's ready to "have talks", but that's not to be trusted, given his and Chavez's history.  What would he be willing to talk about, anyway?

Maduro and Chavez have had talks with the opposition in the past.  It's often a useful way to reduce the pressure against them.  AGree to talks, protests die down, then once talks fail 3 weeks later the opposition can't manage to build up the anger again.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.