And we're back!

Main Menu

When Did Things Go To Pot?

Started by mongers, February 02, 2019, 01:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Assuming some of us share this feeling,

When did things go to pot and why?

I'll avoid the obvious Jan 2016 and instead go for 1990.

My reasoning, sorting through a pile of old gig tickets, I was struck by that year concerts seemed to start costing more than a tenner!
:gasp:

Before in the 80s gigs were cheap, for instance Rush for little more than five.

So what's you're preferred watershed?

Maybe parents shouldn't reply in this thread.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

2011 was the first time I experimented true financial hardship in all my life, so on a personal level it's definitely that.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on February 02, 2019, 02:15:27 PM
2011 was the first time I experimented true financial hardship in all my life, so on a personal level it's definitely that.

The roots of those troubles go way back though. As far back as Aznar's zoning reforms.

dps

Savonarola

Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.
-Ecclesiastes 7:10 KJV

;)

In my opinion the present day is the result of two different events; the rise of the internet and the banking crisis (and subsequent recession.)  The internet created a number of new business opportunities; but devastated a number of existing industries.  In a lot of ways this is similar to the first Industrial Revolution; we have a group of super-wealthy businessmen with undue influence in the government; and we have a government which doesn't understand the new technologies and doesn't have a good way to regulate them.  The problems arising from the internet have been compounded because one of the industries that it altered profoundly is journalism which is a cornerstone of democracy.

The banking crisis created a long period of slow job growth and economic pressure on the working class.  At the same time they didn't have the satisfaction of seeing the people who caused the crisis sent to jail.  It's given a number of people the perception of a broken system which protects the wealthy and punishes the poor.

That being said, I'm with Kohelet.  We're in a period of transition, like the Gilded Age or the Depression.  Radical voices are making sense to some right now (as they did in the those other periods) but they won't forever.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Quote from: Savonarola on February 02, 2019, 06:38:22 PM
Say not thou, What is the cause that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.
-Ecclesiastes 7:10 KJV

;)

In my opinion the present day is the result of two different events; the rise of the internet and the banking crisis (and subsequent recession.)  The internet created a number of new business opportunities; but devastated a number of existing industries.  In a lot of ways this is similar to the first Industrial Revolution; we have a group of super-wealthy businessmen with undue influence in the government; and we have a government which doesn't understand the new technologies and doesn't have a good way to regulate them.  The problems arising from the internet have been compounded because one of the industries that it altered profoundly is journalism which is a cornerstone of democracy.

The banking crisis created a long period of slow job growth and economic pressure on the working class.  At the same time they didn't have the satisfaction of seeing the people who caused the crisis sent to jail.  It's given a number of people the perception of a broken system which protects the wealthy and punishes the poor.

That being said, I'm with Kohelet.  We're in a period of transition, like the Gilded Age or the Depression.  Radical voices are making sense to some right now (as they did in the those other periods) but they won't forever.

But how much damage will they do in the meanwhile.
The US is weathering it pretty well. The UK however....
██████
██████
██████

Zoupa

There's no specific date. It's always been a shit sandwich.

dps

Quote from: Zoupa on February 02, 2019, 10:29:52 PM

I had assumed Mongers was talking about the Anglo-American part of the world, not France.

Zoupa

Quote from: dps on February 02, 2019, 11:01:03 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on February 02, 2019, 10:29:52 PM

I had assumed Mongers was talking about the Anglo-American part of the world, not France.

*rimshot*

dps

Thank you for the sound effect.  :)