News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

At what age do you plan on retiring

Started by Savonarola, January 30, 2019, 03:39:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At what age do you plan on retiring (or did retire)

Younger than 50
3 (11.5%)
50-55
2 (7.7%)
55-60
1 (3.8%)
60-65
7 (26.9%)
65-70
6 (23.1%)
Older than 70
2 (7.7%)
Never
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2019, 04:54:28 PM
Between 55-60, fingers crossed. 

Maybe sooner if I can get my kid's fastball velocity high enough, or have him develop a slider :P

That way lies madness spiess.  You could spend enough money to retire yourself trying to send him to enough camps and tournaments.  I know that's the way at least for hockey.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HisMajestyBOB

Probably 70+. No pension, and I didn't get a job with a 401k or decent salary until recently. I'm making enough to put away a good amount in my IRA and 401k, fortunately. I'll probably go back to teaching in my later years.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

mongers

Either yesterday or I'll die in the traces, can't decide which is best.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

I already retired at 64. I was expecting to work until my full retirement age of 66 at least but during the last few work years I just had a change in mind and feeling. I felt like I needed and wanted to retire, it just hit me. I have a few friends who said the same, that they expected to work longer also but felt the same towards the end. I think the biggest issue was the heavy work load so  figured if I was doing less stressful work I could have continued. I was just tired of it all, really hit a wall, so to speak.

Then after a year off, one of my former managers asked if I wanted to work part time as they were so busy going through multiple projects and company expansion. I went back, working two or three half days a week, but not doing the heavy lifting. No on call, no traveling to sites, etc. So it's working out ok but it may only last until the projects are done. I've been there just over a year, it's just a few miles from home.

dps

I'm hoping to lose a leg in an automobile accident so I can retire on disability next month.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2019, 05:02:40 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2019, 04:54:28 PM
Between 55-60, fingers crossed. 

Maybe sooner if I can get my kid's fastball velocity high enough, or have him develop a slider :P

That way lies madness spiess.  You could spend enough money to retire yourself trying to send him to enough camps and tournaments.  I know that's the way at least for hockey.

It was a joke. I'll be ecstatic if he makes the high school team. I'll still probably continue to spend plenty of money on football/baseball equipment, camps, tournaments, etc. as long as he wants to put forth the effort.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Monoriu

Well, this is *the* question.  It is a function of how much stuff I want, how much pain I am willing to endure, and how confident I am about the investment markets. 

I have followed the FIRE movement for many years.  The cardinal rule used to be I need to be able to survive on 4% of my liquid assets every year.  But recent investment market performances have called that into question.  The latest discussion points to 3.5%.  So that makes it a lot harder. 

I can retire now and survive on instant noodles for the rest of my life, but obviously I don't really want that. 

Eddie Teach

Secretly, Mono loves his job and will never retire.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grinning_Colossus

I'm a Millennial, so my answer is nihilistic laughter.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Monoriu

dps

On a serious note, I hope to be able to retire at 62, but that depends at least in part on how well aa is able to reach her career goals in the next 5 years--if she's where she hopes to be professionally, we won't really need my income, but otherwise, it'll be dicey if I can retire.

Josquius

Quote from: Habbaku on January 30, 2019, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 30, 2019, 04:47:50 PM
Doubt I'll live that long. The odds are against it.
And its unlikely my generation will get much of a retirement anyway.
So never.

The only reason you won't retire is because you don't plan or save for it. Being fatalistic about something that is, to a large degree, in your own hands is downright silly.

Or you die.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

The problem is there is too much uncertainty.  I don't know how long I'll live, the future inflation rates, interest rates, performance of investment markets, etc.  Once I take the plunge, there is no going back.  Ideally I should have spent every last penny when I die.  But since I don't know when that will happen, it is preferable to die with money left, rather than to live the last years penniless. 

The official civil service retirement age is 60.  Retiring at 60 is the safest choice, but also causes the greatest amount of unhappiness.  I think my absolute limit is 55.  Maybe earlier.  Retiring between 48 and 55 is entirely possible, though the safety margin will be less. 

Maladict

Quote from: Monoriu on January 31, 2019, 03:32:48 AM
The problem is there is too much uncertainty.  I don't know how long I'll live, the future inflation rates, interest rates, performance of investment markets, etc.  Once I take the plunge, there is no going back.  Ideally I should have spent every last penny when I die.  But since I don't know when that will happen, it is preferable to die with money left, rather than to live the last years penniless. 

The official civil service retirement age is 60.  Retiring at 60 is the safest choice, but also causes the greatest amount of unhappiness.  I think my absolute limit is 55.  Maybe earlier.  Retiring between 48 and 55 is entirely possible, though the safety margin will be less.

If it's certainty you want, you could always plan your death to coincide with the money running out.

Savonarola

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 30, 2019, 11:00:12 PM
I'm a Millennial, so my answer is nihilistic laughter.

Which is how I thought when I was younger.  This is why I was surprised to see that there are Millennials who are eating brown bananas and sharing Netflix passwords so that they can retire at age 40.  (Not that that is bad; it's just different than how things were in the Age of Grunge and Internet Millionaires.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock