I have bought a bass guitar (and amplifier of course)

Started by Tamas, July 16, 2009, 10:39:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Black Sabbath - NIB; it's both easy and like Another One Bites the Dust, people would actually recognize where the bass part is from.
Experience bij!

Scipio

I was going to mention The Police, but I see it's been done already.  Sting's solo stuff has good bass lines, too, like most pop punk/New Wave acts.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

syk

Nirvana - Come As You Are
Cure - Fascination Street
were my 2 first

DontSayBanana

If you go the Nirvana route, never, never, never play "Smells Like Teen Spirit." The bass line is even more boring to play than the guitar line.

If you work up some calluses, Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff is fast, but usually not as hard as it sounds, so it makes for good show-off material. Just make sure you've got those calluses- ALL RHCP bass lines are slap, and meant to be played pretty aggressively.
Experience bij!

saskganesh

if a base line is boring, just turn up the volume, add some distortion and play it a bit faster. then you become a mean metal machine and really, that's pretty fun.
humans were created in their own image

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 17, 2009, 03:41:00 PM
If you go the Nirvana route, never, never, never play "Smells Like Teen Spirit." The bass line is even more boring to play than the guitar line.

If you work up some calluses, Red Hot Chili Peppers stuff is fast, but usually not as hard as it sounds, so it makes for good show-off material. Just make sure you've got those calluses- ALL RHCP bass lines are slap, and meant to be played pretty aggressively.
Smells Like Teen Spirit is easy as hell to learn, though.  That was the first "cool" thing I learned to play back when I played guitar.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2009, 11:12:05 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 16, 2009, 11:03:52 AM
I think "Through the Fire and Flames" by Dragonforce is a good starting song. :)

Veeery funny :P
^_^

I saw a thing on YouTube once with Herman Li playing Guitar Hero III and he couldn't even beat the song in the game.  IIRC he repeatedly wiped out like right at the beginning.  I think the furthest I ever got thru it was like 36%.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

After some introductory stuff off from youtube, I am learning Another One Bites The Dust. Actually I have had an easier time playing it on my friend's "solo" guitar beacuse it's not that easy to switch fast those big-ass strings without distorting the sound.

But I am getting better, and quite liking it. :)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on July 20, 2009, 04:23:51 AM
Bitches are gonna be all over you.

Yes, because nothing says HOTNESS like a newbie bass player playing Deep Purple's "Smoke On The Water" ad infinitum.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2009, 01:33:36 PM
Lou Reed, Take a Walk on the Wild Side.

Isn't that better fretless? NB I know dick about bass.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2009, 01:55:46 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 20, 2009, 01:37:30 PM
Isn't that better fretless? NB I know dick about bass.
Uh, what?

On the fretboard (neck) on a regular bass guitar (like the one Tampax has) there are little metal thingies perpendicular to the neck called frets. They are also found on the common regular guitar. They essentially make the instrument "digital". On a fretless guitar there are no frets. The neck looks like on a violin or on a stand up bass. IIRC Walk on the Wild Side was recorded using an old-fashioned stand up bass, ergo a fretless bass. Makes the sliding bass on that song more plusgood compared to if it were played on a bass with frets.

At least this is a theory.

Admiral Yi