News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Research animal died during research?  Stop the presses!

Neuralink does need to start using lawyers instead of monkeys as test subjects, though, to avoid unnecessary bad press.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

That was my thought as well, isn't the whole point of animal testing is to see whether the subjects would die a painful premature death?  Obviously you shouldn't be doing something guaranteed to kill the animals just to get a boner, but testing something that may be dangerous is the job of these animals.  It's not like the animals that make it through a study get to enjoy an early retirement somewhere on the tropical island.

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2022, 11:02:16 AM
Research animal died during research?  Stop the presses!

Neuralink does need to start using lawyers instead of monkeys as test subjects, though, to avoid unnecessary bad press.

Not sure if lawyer brains are similar enough to human ones, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2022, 11:28:03 AM
That was my thought as well, isn't the whole point of animal testing is to see whether the subjects would die a painful premature death?  Obviously you shouldn't be doing something guaranteed to kill the animals just to get a boner, but testing something that may be dangerous is the job of these animals.  It's not like the animals that make it through a study get to enjoy an early retirement somewhere on the tropical island.

I think the idea is that you only use animals - especially higher order species like monkeys - when you're very confident you won't inflict unnecessary suffering on them; as opposed to "let's just fuck around and see what happens, and if they suffer and die oh well that's what they're for."

That said, I'm not personally prepared to judge where the line is - and thus neither am I ready to say whether this case is on the right or wrong side of it - but hopefully there are ethics bodies and law that determines that.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on February 12, 2022, 11:39:31 AM
Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2022, 11:28:03 AM

I think the idea is that you only use animals - especially higher order species like monkeys - when you're very confident you won't inflict unnecessary suffering on them; as opposed to "let's just fuck around and see what happens, and if they suffer and die oh well that's what they're for."

That said, I'm not personally prepared to judge where the line is - and thus neither am I ready to say whether this case is on the right or wrong side of it - but hopefully there are ethics bodies and law that determines that.
I see.  I can definitely imagine the disruption bros at Tesla completely disregarding established protocols, if not stopped by external forces, as the whole process of medical research seems like the very opposite of their MO.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on February 11, 2022, 10:23:26 PM
A couple of not very flattering piece of news related to Musk have appeared today:

I feel this makes a nice contrast to the first article about racist work environments:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DGuller

Josquius

Yes. To have such a high fuck up rate really suggests they shouldn't have been at the stage of testing on monkeys.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

One should keep in mind that PCRM is an advocacy group opposed to all animal medical research, so take their findings with a grain of salt.

Bayraktar!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

So apparently Musk has made an official bid to buy Twitter for more than 40 billion dollars.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

The levels of trolling he does to manipulate share prices is insane. I kinda' wish the bluff offer gets accepted so he burns 40 billion.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!