News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on May 27, 2021, 01:02:29 PM
Name brand recognition. Even more worrisome than someone out for a quick buck. you can understand their reasoning, but someone who wants to be famous is a lot more unpredictable.

Being famous is the milestone he reached maybe a decade ago.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2021, 12:44:40 PM
If Musk was just all about making himself a lot of cash, why do you think he is doing shit like SpaceX?

I don't think he's one-dimensional. He could for example enjoy making lots of cash in various ways, so he can spend some of it doing other things.

But I dunno, is it a foregone conclusion that SpaceX won't be profitable?

Valmy

It might be but it is hardly a safe bet, especially when he first started it up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2021, 01:12:03 PM
It might be but it is hardly a safe bet, especially when he first started it up.

I don't think SpaceX being or not being a safe bet is much of an indicator of whether Musk is or is not using his influence to manipulate the crypto market for short term profit.

I mean, he might not be doing so but it's not an unreasonable explanation.

garbon

I think he likes toys. Think about when he wanting to build his unnecessary submarine. The one mentioned in the OP.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

If SpaceX loses money he can always use Tesla to bail it out, like he did with SolarCity.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2021, 01:15:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2021, 01:12:03 PM

I don't think SpaceX being or not being a safe bet is much of an indicator of whether Musk is or is not using his influence to manipulate the crypto market for short term profit.

I mean, he might not be doing so but it's not an unreasonable explanation.

Sure, my point is the cynical view is not the only reasonable explanation.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 27, 2021, 01:07:04 PM
Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2021, 12:44:40 PM
If Musk was just all about making himself a lot of cash, why do you think he is doing shit like SpaceX?

I don't think he's one-dimensional. He could for example enjoy making lots of cash in various ways, so he can spend some of it doing other things.

But I dunno, is it a foregone conclusion that SpaceX won't be profitable?

SpaceX is a private company (unlike Tesla) so we can't know for sure if it is profitable or not.

But what we do know is that SpaceX has been busy rapidly developing a friggin Mars lander all on it's own dime, so Musk doesn't really seem worried about maximizing his short-term profitability.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

The prospectus for Tesla expressly said they would never pay a dividend, which is why I passed on it way back at the beginning.  His companies are very much about changing the world.

That being said SpaceX has captured a big chunk of global launch market so they must be generating some cash flow.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2021, 01:35:02 PM
Sure, my point is the cynical view is not the only reasonable explanation.

Agreed.

Berkut

Musk is kind of a d-bag, but I don't get why people have this cynical attitude that he is somehow secretly just lying about his motivations.

I think it is more about what people feel they have to believe about rich people then anything the actual evidence shows.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on May 27, 2021, 02:10:39 PM
Musk is kind of a d-bag, but I don't get why people have this cynical attitude that he is somehow secretly just lying about his motivations.

I think it is more about what people feel they have to believe about rich people then anything the actual evidence shows.

When it comes to Dogecoin, he's been pretty clear he's just fucking with people.  That's sometimes just the kind of guy he is.  I mean come on now - he named his company SpaceX (try saying it out loud).  His Tesla car models are the S, 3, X, Y (Mercedes had the rights to the name E-Class).

HVC

plus the whole pedophile slander thing. he's a fame whore. He's also smart, i'm not taking that away from him. but that shadows his motivations in my view.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2021, 02:14:34 PM

When it comes to Dogecoin, he's been pretty clear he's just fucking with people.  That's sometimes just the kind of guy he is.  I mean come on now - he named his company SpaceX (try saying it out loud).  His Tesla car models are the S, 3, X, Y (Mercedes had the rights to the name E-Class).

Is this some kind of secret code/handshake thing I should know about?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 27, 2021, 03:08:40 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 27, 2021, 02:14:34 PM

Is this some kind of secret code/handshake thing I should know about?

Say "SpaceX" out loud.

It sounds like "Space Sex".