News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW2: Time of Wrath

Started by Berkut, July 15, 2009, 09:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

This is looking pretty good so far, as a grognardly sort of WW2 in Europe strat game. I like the scale they have chosen (Corps with divisions), and I like the level of micromanagement they have put in.

I like the fact that you can PBEM with up to 6 people playing whichever countries they like. I *really* like the fact that finally Matrix is publishing a game that doesn't limit your resolution to somthing fixed and appropriate for 2 decades ago.

Of course, we have been down this road before, and we know where it ends, don't we? But hope springs eternal...

And it looks like the game will be out this week....

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2135346
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

I'm sure I will drop my $70 on it and experience the usual level of epic disappointment.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

A sequel to WW2: Road to Victory? Did that game do that well? I thought it was a beer & pretzels stinker?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on July 15, 2009, 09:57:43 AM
Of course, we have been down this road before, and we know where it ends, don't we? But hope springs eternal...

It's people like you that...well, you know the rest.

Tamas

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2009, 06:27:08 AM
map is ugly
But lovely compared to the naval unit icons!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

I don't buy from Matrix until I see tons of positive reviews from people.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on July 16, 2009, 06:34:33 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 16, 2009, 06:27:08 AM
map is ugly
But lovely compared to the naval unit icons!  :lol:

Indeed.

Berk, buy it and tell us how it is :P

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on July 15, 2009, 10:42:40 AM
I'm sure I will drop my $70 on it and experience the usual level of epic disappointment.

It is listed on Gamersgate at $30. I wonder if that is the actual price...if so, I will certainly give it a shot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on July 16, 2009, 06:43:21 AM
I don't buy from Matrix until I see tons of positive reviews from people.  :)

:yes:

It seems that creating historical games means they will be poorly designed and unintuitive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

It would seem so.  :(

Anyway, since I don't buy from Matrix until I see tons of positive reviews, the result is that I almost never buy from Matrix. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

You know, if someone gave me this I would play it.  Sometimes, a gift-Wrath is the best part of the present.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Habbaku

I am eager to play the important nation of Iceland.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

Quote from: Berkut on July 16, 2009, 09:32:25 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 15, 2009, 10:42:40 AM

It is listed on Gamersgate at $30. I wonder if that is the actual price...if so, I will certainly give it a shot.

It's 23 €. At that price it's tempting; I'm now torn between this and Romance o.t. Three Kingdoms.  <_<
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

saskganesh

the wargame skin seems ok.

hexes look lovely. and the Russian steppes look big.

railroads? I want to micromanage gauge changing.
humans were created in their own image