Military rape reports rise, prosecution still low

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2009, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Shameful!   :mad:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hjwUk3pdL0DxNYQVsrQhSWMdwvjgD97023MO0
QuoteMilitary rape reports rise, prosecution still low

By ANNE GEARAN – 28 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — More people came forward to report sexual assaults in the military last year, but a significant percentage wouldn't give crucial details needed for an investigation.

The Pentagon said it received 2,923 reports of sexual assault across the military in the 12 months ending Sept. 30 2008. That's about a 9 percent increase over the totals reported the year before, but only a fraction of the crimes presumably being committed.

Among the cases reported, only a small number went to military courts, officials acknowledged.

The Pentagon office that collects the data estimates that only 10 percent to 20 percent of sexual assaults among members of the active duty military are reported — a figure similar to estimates of reported cases in the civilian sphere.

The military statistics, required by Congress, cover rape and other assaults across the approximately 1.4 million people in uniform.

Kaye Whitley, director of the Pentagon's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office, said most victims are women, most cases involve young people and alcohol is often involved.

The yearly increase in reports is more likely due to larger numbers of victims being willing to come forward than to an overall increase in sexual violence, Whitley said.

That increase includes a jump in cases from combat zones in Iraq and Afghanistan, to 165 from 131 the year before.

Congresswoman Jane Harman, a congressional critic of the military's handling of sexual violence, said the statistics show the problem is still rampant.

"While the report shows modest improvement, we're far from Mission Accomplished," the California Democrat said in a statement. "Military women are more likely to be raped by a fellow soldier than killed by enemy fire in Iraq."

The latest figures include 2,280 cases in which a victim provided full accounts and physical evidence when possible, and 643 in which a victim sought care or made a report but refused to provide all the information necessary to pursue an investigation.

The Defense Department allows those limited reports on the theory that it encourages victims to at least seek care when they might otherwise keep silent.

Prosecution is slow and large numbers of cases are thrown out or dropped.

The most recent figures, which include cases left open from previous years, show that only 317 cases were referred for courts-martial, or military trials. Another 247 were referred for nonjudicial punishment.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Related articles
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2009, 06:12:57 PM
Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
This thread got raped.
I don't have enough details to prosecute.

Martinus: This outrage shows the futility of US and Canadian legal systems. If only it was run by militant gays, BLAH BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH BLAH! BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH?
BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Capetan Mihali

You know these smilies are terrible when Tim's predictable one-note outrage is transformed into a lecherous leer at the plight of rape victims.   :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Phillip V

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 17, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
This thread got raped.

I bet it just felt mildly uncomfortable after consensual sex and then decided to call it rape.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 17, 2009, 06:15:02 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2009, 06:12:57 PM
Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 06:07:31 PM
This thread got raped.
I don't have enough details to prosecute.

Martinus: This outrage shows the futility of US and Canadian legal systems. If only it was run by militant gays, BLAH BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH BLAH! BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH?
BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH.

If the military was composed of gays, there would be no instances of rapes against military women.

There would be just instances of disciplining junior male cadets.  :cool:

Martinus