Finially going to buy a new video card (Pea Sea Help)

Started by Razgovory, July 14, 2009, 03:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I'm going to buy a new Video card to replace my old Radeon 850.  It's long past due.

The other specs of the PC are a pentium(R) D CPU 3.40 GHz and 2.00 GB of RAM.  I'm wondering if I should just get a newer Radeon card.  Any ideas?  Preferably something easy to install.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

I have a Geforce MX260, it is quite decent altough sliding to be only mid-range soon.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 03:33:55 AM
I have a Geforce MX260, it is quite decent altough sliding to be only mid-range soon.

My PC isn't top of the line anymore so I'll be going fairly low I think.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2009, 03:38:00 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 03:33:55 AM

My PC isn't top of the line anymore so I'll be going fairly low I think.

Still, don't go below a 8600. It should be really cheap nowadays.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY TO YOU, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY AN ATI CARD.

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 03:42:15 AM

AND FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY TO YOU, DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY AN ATI CARD.

Hmmmm.  What are the consequences?  :unsure:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on July 14, 2009, 06:06:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 03:42:15 AM

A non functionning computer. Glitchy drivers & glitchy games that are built by dev using Nvidia cards.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

MadBurgerMaker

Here Raz...Tom's Hardware regularly does a "best graphics card for the money" article.  This one is from June, and is oddly lacking in the "will brick your compter," and "OH GOD DON'T BUY THIS BRAND" department:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-price,2323.html

If you're still using AGP, ATi doesn't support that for their newer cards.  I think Sapphire and Colorsomething are the ones who put HD3000's together to use an AGP slot, but the drivers will have to come from those companies, etc.  In other words, if you're still using AGP, find whichever GeForce card is the best and still out there in that form (get a new computer).

Tamas

Don't buy an ATI card. If you are not a gamer you MIGHT avoid problems with them, but if you do play games, you can't have an ATI card.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Tamas on July 14, 2009, 09:26:20 AM
Don't buy an ATI card. If you are not a gamer you MIGHT avoid problems with them, but if you do play games, you can't have an ATI card.

:lol:  Do you work for nVidia or something?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Monoriu on July 14, 2009, 06:06:13 AM
You will have all the noise drawbacks associated with living under an airport approach path, but not the convenience of being able to get to the airport quickly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 14, 2009, 09:29:07 AM
:lol:  Do you work for nVidia or something?
It must either be that, or else he actually bought an ATI card at some point.  :P

I didn't find the ATI performance to be inferior at the price point, but the nnoise and heat issues for both my ATI cards were ginormous (yes, i actually bought a second ATI card even after buying one previously!  :Embarrass:)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2009, 09:35:02 AM
I didn't find the ATI performance to be inferior at the price point, but the nnoise and heat issues for both my ATI cards were ginormous (yes, i actually bought a second ATI card even after buying one previously!  :Embarrass:)

I can't hear anything over the sounds of my case fans that are all starting to crap out.  :P

Josquius

Generally from what I've heard ATI are on paper the better but as said most developers seem to prefer nvidia.
I don't think the difference is too large though. I've got an ATI (2 year old now...) and its working fine. What you get should just depend on what bargains you can find.
██████
██████
██████