Video Games Are Destroying the People Who Make Them

Started by CountDeMoney, October 25, 2017, 08:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Occupations that have mandated rest/maximum hours worked typically involve risk to others if the employee is fatigued.  Long haul truckers, pilots.  If game designers want to work themselves to death, let them choose.

Jacob

There's a bit of a power imbalance between the company and the workers.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2017, 05:32:09 PM
Occupations that have mandated rest/maximum hours worked typically involve risk to others if the employee is fatigued.  Long haul truckers, pilots.  If game designers want to work themselves to death, let them choose.

Is it really try that in the US only employees who pose a risk to others are protected by maximum hour regulations?  I find that hard to believe but perhaps the US is really that out of step with the rest of the industrialized world.  Maximum hour regulations for most workers have existed for a very long time.

Also, you are just wrong about rest breaks only being mandated for employees who pose a risk to others.  Most workers get statutorily mandated breaks.

Quote from: Jacob on October 26, 2017, 05:49:18 PM

Market in action

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2017, 05:25:12 PM

A market works when employees have the mobility to effectively market their expertise in a reasonably easy and transparent manner. Yes, that is what defines a working labor market.

The fact that an employee may leave employment is not evidence of a market "working", it is evidence a country has anti-slavery laws and doesnt answer the question of whether workplace protections are necessary.

Admiral Yi

This adage always pops up when we're discussing labor market issues.  My previous attempts to elicit elaboration have not been very successful.

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on October 26, 2017, 05:11:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 26, 2017, 04:22:38 PM
Oh my, do you really believe that or is this just another way for you to get a "win"

You already know the answer to that.

Of course he does.  He, himself, is refusing to answer my question.  He knows perfectly well that I "believe" that I am not going to place myself in a position where I have to make an argument and defend it, while he makes no arguments and has to defend nothing.  That's a mug's game and he is pissed that I won't play it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2017, 02:28:49 AM
This is why things like OSHA exist.  Beyond a certain point, employees just shouldn't be allowed to trade health for employment, regardless of how willing they are to succumb to the prevailing culture at the workplace.

No, this is not why things like OSHA exists.  OSHA has nothing to do with hours worked.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2017, 06:37:09 PM

This adage always pops up when we're discussing labor market issues.  My previous attempts to elicit elaboration have not been very successful.

We'd first have to decide who has the power advantage.  If the company has to woo me to get me to come to work for them, and I can walk away at any time to an equal job, then the bit of a power imbalance is in my favor.

I rather suspect that this idea is heresy in some eyes, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2017, 07:11:12 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 26, 2017, 06:37:09 PM

We'd first have to decide who has the power advantage.  If the company has to woo me to get me to come to work for them, and I can walk away at any time to an equal job, then the bit of a power imbalance is in my favor.

I rather suspect that this idea is heresy in some eyes, though.

Pfft...Heresy?  Hell, you free marketeers convinced me a quite a while ago:  the worker really does have all the power, because if they don't like it, they can walk.  Work does, in fact, set you free.  #AuschwitzLocal453

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2017, 07:10:14 PM
This is why things like OSHA exist.  Beyond a certain point, employees just shouldn't be allowed to trade health for employment, regardless of how willing they are to succumb to the prevailing culture at the workplace.

No, this is not why things like OSHA exists.  OSHA has nothing to do with hours worked.
:unsure: Am I missing some joke?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2017, 07:21:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2017, 07:10:14 PM

:unsure: Am I missing some joke?

You tell me, you're obviously the occupational safety and health officer.

DGuller

I wasn't sure whether I wrote something in a grammatically incorrect way and you were humorously misinterpreting it, so that's why I asked.  It appears it was just you being genuinely incredibly dense.  Here's a hint to my argument:  "things like OSHA" refers to not specifically OSHA, but rather the general principle behind existence of OSHA.

Berkut

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2017, 05:25:12 PM

A market works when employees have the mobility to effectively market their expertise in a reasonably easy and transparent manner. Yes, that is what defines a working labor market.
Quote from: CC
The fact that an employee may leave employment...

The fact that you equate what I wrote with what you wrote shows that we are in the realm of faith, not reason.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2017, 07:40:58 PM
I wasn't sure whether I wrote something in a grammatically incorrect way and you were humorously misinterpreting it, so that's why I asked.  It appears it was just you being genuinely incredibly dense.  Here's a hint to my argument:  "things like OSHA" refers to not specifically OSHA, but rather the general principle behind existence of OSHA.

Your argument about "things like OSHA" still has nothing to with the article's primary bitch, which is labor hours worked, all crunchy-like.  "Things like OSHA" don't protect employees from themselves.  Cossack twat.

DGuller

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 26, 2017, 07:56:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2017, 07:40:58 PM

Your argument about "things like OSHA" still has nothing to with the article's primary bitch, which is labor hours worked, all crunchy-like.  "Things like OSHA" don't protect employees from themselves.  Cossack twat.
It protects employees from accepting certain unsafe conditions, regardless of their willingness to do so.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 26, 2017, 07:57:35 PM
It protects employees from accepting certain unsafe conditions, regardless of their willingness to do so.

No, it requires employers by law to maintain standards and follow established guidelines in providing a safe and hazard-free workplace for employees. 
Which STILL has absolutely nothing to do with labor hours worked.