Kate Millett, pioneering second-wave feminist, dies aged 82

Started by garbon, September 07, 2017, 10:04:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on September 07, 2017, 03:37:39 PM
I dunno... I'd almost argue that we're back to fighting for a lot of what the second wave fought for. At least, a lot of that wasn't ever accomplished or has gone backwards significantly.

Yep, I mean watch The Handmaid's Tale for crying out loud.  That's pretty much where we are now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

A lot of big name 2nd wave femminists turned out to be very transphobic, what was her stance on trans rights?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 07, 2017, 06:30:08 PM
A lot of big name 2nd wave femminists turned out to be very transphobic, what was her stance on trans rights?

This is important stuff, like Lincoln's views on communism.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on September 07, 2017, 03:40:26 PM
I dunno... I'd almost argue that we're back to fighting for a lot of what the second wave fought for. At least, a lot of that wasn't ever accomplished or has gone backwards significantly.

Yep, I mean watch The Handmaid's Tale for crying out loud.  That's pretty much where we are now.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on September 07, 2017, 08:03:25 PM
That's cute.  And the ERA passed as well!

Hey Texas ratified it. You cannot blame us. For once.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I remember back on old Languish I told you the earnings gap would shrink as all the boomers, who grew up under the old system, retired or died. Since that conversation it has closed by more than 10%. So that is something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2017, 10:19:08 PM

I remember back on old Languish I told you the earnings gap would shrink as all the boomers, who grew up under the old system, retired or died. Since that conversation it has closed by more than 10%. So that is something.

Um.. .It's still 70/30, give or take... And the Boomers are no longer the largest generation.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 07, 2017, 07:47:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 07, 2017, 03:40:26 PM

He won't eat dinner alone with a woman that is not his wife.  TEH MONSTER
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on September 07, 2017, 10:52:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2017, 10:19:08 PM

Um.. .It's still 70/30, give or take... And the Boomers are no longer the largest generation.

No it isn't. It is 80/20. That is a 12% increase as it was 68/32 at the time.

derspiess

Valmy

derspiess

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2017, 11:16:30 PM

No it isn't. It is 80/20. That is a 12% increase as it was 68/32 at the time.

Yep, you're right. And it looks like the younger generations are coming up quicker than the older generation, so there's something to your theory.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/03/gender-pay-gap-facts/
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...