The shit in Spain falls mainly in the fan

Started by celedhring, September 06, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 23, 2020, 05:10:23 AM
A Murillo too............probably worth millions............but "lets get that chap who fixed the kitchen chairs to sort out our old masters"  :hmm:
I know. And God give me the confidence of a furniture cleaner who quotes a grand to restore a 17th century painting :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

It was not a proper Murillo, but a copy of one.

Richard Hakluyt

celedhring

Yeah, some media are neglecting the fact it's not an original when reporting the news.

Not sure how old the damaged copy is though. I presume it was still valuable.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 23, 2020, 07:44:39 AM
Yeah, some media are neglecting the fact it's not an original when reporting the news.

I read somewhere that it was made by a disciple of Murillo, so probably it was some kind of practice exercise while the disciple was doing his apprenticeship at Murillo's workshop, so even if it's not an original one, it's still pretty old.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on June 23, 2020, 07:50:40 AM

I read somewhere that it was made by a disciple of Murillo, so probably it was some kind of practice exercise while the disciple was doing his apprenticeship at Murillo's workshop, so even if it's not an original one, it's still pretty old.

If it was from Murillo's workshop then it was certainly quite valuable.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on June 23, 2020, 07:51:39 AM
Quote from: The Larch on June 23, 2020, 07:50:40 AM

If it was from Murillo's workshop then it was certainly quite valuable.

Yeah, it might not be an invaluable masterpiece but it's still a remarkable piece from the XVIIth century.

The Brain

Are paintings (that are not part of the wall of a historic building or similar) generally protected by law in countries? I know that old buildings are protected to different degrees, but paintings? I am not sure what Swedish law looks like when it comes to this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Oof, probably better to let it fade into oblivion than fuck up a restoration like that. 

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on June 23, 2020, 05:33:44 AM
It was not a proper Murillo, but a copy of one.

So only a test run for the real one? I feel reassured now. :)

Crazy_Ivan80

testruns and copies of artworks are often enough artworks themselves, and can't really serve as an excuse for that level of incompetence

The Larch

Soooo, King Juan Carlos has just announced he'll be leaving the country due to all his financial extra curriculars coming to light recently.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 03, 2020, 11:49:36 AM
Soooo, King Juan Carlos has just announced he'll be leaving the country due to all his financial extra curriculars coming to light recently.
Any idea where to? I feel like Monaco/Monte Cristo is the most appropriate bolthole.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Damn. And I thought he was one of the rare kings who didn't suck.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on August 03, 2020, 11:51:38 AM

Damn. And I thought he was one of the rare kings who didn't suck.

Juan Carlos? Are you kidding? :D

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/royal-scandals/4/

QuoteOutrage in Spain over what was seen as King Juan Carlos' extravagant hunting trip to Botswana was so extensive that the king had to issue an apology to the people of his debt-riddled nation. The palace confirmed such an apology was unprecedented in the history of Spain's monarchy. News of the April 2012 trip only surfaced after the king was injured in a fall in Botswana. Many Spaniards were dumbfounded that the king could make such an opulent journey - and, to boot, one to hunt elephants even though he is honorary president of the Spanish branch of the World Wildlife Fund - while everyday people brave a 23 percent unemployment rate
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.