Main Menu

The Far Northern Cottage

Started by Malthus, September 05, 2017, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2017, 10:54:16 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2017, 10:47:07 AM
I propose a languish camp out :P

Heh, I'd take Lanuishites up ... but if you won't work, or otherwise are annoying, you can swim home.  :P

Well, I'm out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Maladict on September 06, 2017, 11:45:53 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2017, 08:07:53 AM

Well, there is an outhouse. Basically a shed built over a hole in the ground.

I had to use an outhouse like that in the mosquito infested Danube delta.
It was very very unpleasant.

Bah.

The summer of 1997 I did field work with Manitoba Energy and Mines.  We were parked on a small island in the middle of Island Lake, Manitoba by a float plane, many miles from the nearest road.

Our "out house" was a shallow pit dug between two trees. Two logs were nailed to the two standing trees and a toilet seat was precariously set on top of the two logs.  We had a tarp so that you couldn't see someone taking a shit from the camp site, but it was otherwise open to the air.  And needless to say there were mosquitos everywhere.

Damn that was a good summer.  But you dreaded having to take a dump.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2017, 11:47:37 AM
Tell me more about this place on the Danube Delta. Was it just an outhouse or did you have a few other buildings as well?

It's the low building on the right in the picture.
The red building is a kitchen and living space, also full of mosquitoes. We slept in tents.

You only went into the outhouse when you really had to, but being bitten dozens of times all over (including the most sensitive of places) while taking dump is not fun.

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on September 06, 2017, 11:45:53 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2017, 08:07:53 AM

Well, there is an outhouse. Basically a shed built over a hole in the ground.

I had to use an outhouse like that in the mosquito infested Danube delta.
It was very very unpleasant.

Heh, no-one likes using the outhouse. Doesn't help that it is a favorite Dock Spider hang out, there is always a few about.

I remember one time sitting on the toilet when I saw a large Dock Spider shedding its skin directly over my head: the old skin split open, and the spider (now somewhat larger) crawling out.

It was about halfway through this process when it noticed my scrutiny. It angrily rattled its skin at me. Or maybe it was just panicked and tried to shake off the old skin quickly.

Either way, more amusing in hindsight than at the time.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on September 06, 2017, 11:56:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 06, 2017, 11:47:37 AM
Tell me more about this place on the Danube Delta. Was it just an outhouse or did you have a few other buildings as well?

It's the low building on the right in the picture.
The red building is a kitchen and living space, also full of mosquitoes. We slept in tents.

You only went into the outhouse when you really had to, but being bitten dozens of times all over (including the most sensitive of places) while taking dump is not fun.

What's the work going on? Looks like an archaeological dig.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Yes, it's a late Roman/early Byzantine fort called Halmyris.

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on September 06, 2017, 01:08:09 PM
Yes, it's a late Roman/early Byzantine fort called Halmyris.

So, digging up the stuff dropped by the Romans when they got their backsides bitten by mosquitos.  :D

"Dammit, Lucius, I dropped another sestertius in the hole slapping at these damned bugs!"

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on September 06, 2017, 01:11:42 PM
So, digging up the stuff dropped by the Romans when they got their backsides bitten by mosquitos.  :D

"Dammit, Lucius, I dropped another sestertius in the hole slapping at these damned bugs!"

Pretty much  :)
Just shows how little we learn from history.