News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Far Northern Cottage

Started by Malthus, September 05, 2017, 02:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

... or "Cabin", for you south of the border.  ;)

Went up for a few days with my family plus my brother-in-law (wife's brother) and his kids. Had to leave a day early because of predicted high winds and thunderstorms - the place is on an island and it is very easy to get trapped there by bad weather.

Some pics:

- The cottage itself - built in the early 1950s by my grandfather:

Below is the original draft of this poem:

http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2000/11/18

The poem is about the burning down of the original cabin on the site (hit by lightning).

It has lots of original poems by my aunt decorating the walls. Miraculously, so far, no-one has broken in and stolen them, though the place has been broken into a few times:

My wife, on the dock:

The kids boating:

Typical landscape:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

That looks like good clean Canadian fun Malthus.

That island looks extremely rocky. I presume there is no electricity or anything like that in that cabin?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 05, 2017, 02:48:09 PM
That looks like good clean Canadian fun Malthus.

That island looks extremely rocky. I presume there is no electricity or anything like that in that cabin?

Yup, the whole area is on what is known as the "Canadian Shield" formation - which stretches for hundreds of miles. All the soil was scraped away by glaciation, leaving nothing but bare bedrock with whatever soil has built up since the last ice ages. Bare rock shelves abound and it is very rugged. It is amazing to see the effort that goes into road-building in this area - lots of blasting of trenches in solid bedrock.

We are far from the grid (also, on an island), but we do have a tiny gas powered generator, enough for lighting a couple of lamps - this is a new innovation: we used to use nothing but kerosene lamps. They give nice light, but are prone to bursting into flames if the mantle is not closely watched.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Looks very hyggeligt!

What camera are you using? Maybe clean the lense :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on September 05, 2017, 02:59:55 PM
Looks very hyggeligt!

What camera are you using? Maybe clean the lense :P

The shitty camera on my old phone.  :(

I'm actually surprised the phone survived the trip.

I stupidly kept it, and my wallet, in my pocket on the boat trip over (I was driving the motorboat you can see tied at the dock). Part of the trip goes past what is known, for good reason, as "Windy Point". Conditions were bad, very windy, with lots of whitecaps and high waves. A few waves slapped over the side of the boat and I got soaked to the skin (I was wearing rain gear, but that didn't really help).

Phone survived though.  :)

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on September 05, 2017, 02:42:01 PM
It looks a bit like Sweden. :)

I do miss that side of Sweden a lot.

I wonder if the Canadian version has saunas :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

merithyn

What a lovely place, Malthus. I'm intensely jealous of it, I'll be honest.

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2017, 02:34:44 PM

It has lots of original poems by my aunt decorating the walls. Miraculously, so far, no-one has broken in and stolen them, though the place has been broken into a few times:

Let's be real... the kind of people who'd break into an isolated cottage on an island are not going to be literature experts looking for original documents by a world-renowned author. But now that *I* know they're there..... :shifty:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Is it hard to sleep with no modern humming noises?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2017, 03:39:41 PM
Let's be real... the kind of people who'd break into an isolated cottage on an island are not going to be literature experts looking for original documents by a world-renowned author. But now that *I* know they're there..... :shifty:

... you still have to find the place. "Northern Quebec" is pretty large.  ;)

But seriously: despite its extreme isolation, tourists (usually of the 'aging grad student' variety) have, from time to time over the years, showed up while we were there, having tracked the place down. I guess the general species is pretty honest, because if they are showing up while we were there, they are no doubt also showing up while we were not there!

The break-ins are usually after stuff that is visibly easy to sell it is true - we've lost a couple of nice canoes.  :(  Probably not literature experts doing the break-ins, I'm guessing.

PRC

Lots of black flies I assume?

Cabin looks like a beautiful spot.

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 05, 2017, 04:05:15 PM
Bugs are way worse.

I try to avoid being up there in late May through early July.  :D End of August there are no bugs whatsoever - you can walk around naked if you like. Do that in June, you would require a transfusion.  :lol:

Some years, early June is just unbearably buggy. Particularly just as the sun goes down. The sheer number of bugs is astonishing and horrifying.

Malthus

Quote from: PRC on September 05, 2017, 04:16:04 PM
Lots of black flies I assume?

Cabin looks like a beautiful spot.

Again, varies hugely by time of year. You just don't go up during Blackfly season, unless you have no choice. End of August - there isn't a single one. 

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2017, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: merithyn on September 05, 2017, 03:39:41 PM

... you still have to find the place. "Northern Quebec" is pretty large.  ;)

Your pictures probably have the coordinates in the code... just saying :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.