Which of the Seven Ancient Wonders would you like to see restored?

Started by Malthus, September 05, 2017, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2017, 02:11:24 PM
Quote from: Maladict on September 05, 2017, 02:00:18 PM
The Lighthouse or the Colossus. But I would want them to have survived, I don't actually want any of them restored.

Assume that it survived absolutely intact since antiquity then.

This is too hard, I can't even bring the list down to five  :(

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on September 05, 2017, 02:01:59 PM
Didn't the statue supposedly have feet on opposite sites of the harbor? That would be awesome.

It's traditionally depicted that way, but many modern scholars think that it stood beside the harbor entrance, not astride it.

If it did stand astride the harbor entrance, I think it's the one I'd most like to see restored.  If it stood beside the entrance, than I'd go with the lighthouse.  It was itself an impressive structure--it would still be one of the tallest lighthouses in the world, though not the tallest.

DGuller

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

I think my choice is obvious. :D I just hope the Greeks properly earthquake-proof it this time.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Monoriu

Probably Hanging Gardens. 

The pyramids already exist, so no point to waste the restoration effort on them. 

The lighthouse, statues etc are just big versions of what we already have.  A big lighthouse was probably a big deal in ancient times.  It would be unremarkable nowadays. 

The Hanging Gardens would be more interesting.  Maybe. 

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

The Colossus for sure. It's the most extravagant of them all (and I *demand* it to straddle the harbor), with the Statue of Zeus in second spot.

I loved the old sword and sandal flick when I was a kid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbWOWLs1LXc) - Sergio Leone's first film as a director.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."