Which of the Seven Ancient Wonders would you like to see restored?

Started by Malthus, September 05, 2017, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are (or were):

Great Pyramid of Giza,

Hanging Gardens of Babylon,

Temple of Artemis,

Statue of Zeus at Olympia,

Mausoleum at Halicarnassus,

Colossus of Rhodes,

and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

Of these seven, only the Great Pyramid still exists ... which of these seven would you like to see restored, and why? (For the Great Pyramid, for "restored" imagine it with its original outer cladding, and completely unlooted!)

No Civ jokes please.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2017, 01:49:04 PM

The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World are (or were):

Great Pyramid of Giza,

Hanging Gardens of Babylon,

Temple of Artemis,

Statue of Zeus at Olympia,

Mausoleum at Halicarnassus,

Colossus of Rhodes,

and the Lighthouse of Alexandria.

Of these seven, only the Great Pyramid still exists ... which of these seven would you like to see restored, and why? (For the Great Pyramid, for "restored" imagine it with its original outer cladding, and completely unlooted!)

No Civ jokes please.  :P

1. Still going, great!
2. Would make a juicy target for Islamic terrorists...no thanks.
3. Reviving a Greek cultural monument in Turkey?  Good luck.
4. Greece has enough tourist destinations.
5. See #3
6. See #4 (Probably more viable than #5, but it would probably turn out to be pretty gaudy)
7. See #2 (Egypt has a better chance of keeping it alive)

But if any, probably the statue of Zeus.  The way it was made/design seemed really cool.  But it would be really indulgent.

Valmy

The Colossus of Rhodes of course. That would be amazing to see.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

The Lighthouse or the Colossus. But I would want them to have survived, I don't actually want any of them restored.

Valmy

The Lighthouse got turned into a fortress which is now ancient in its own right I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Good thread idea Malthus.

I was very excited to say the "Library of Alexandria" to discover all the lost knowledge, but they named the lighthouse the wonder instad of the library? That seemed dumb.

In that case, I agree with Valmy. Didn't the statue supposedly have feet on opposite sites of the harbor? That would be awesome.

But ultimately, I have to say none of them, because I don't think the world deserves nice things right now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

I'm not too keen on any of them being restored, but if I had to pick the one I think would be coolest if it was still intact since antiquity (counting the Great Pyramid as already intact today) I'd say the Lighthouse.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on September 05, 2017, 02:00:18 PM
The Lighthouse or the Colossus. But I would want them to have survived, I don't actually want any of them restored.

Assume that it survived absolutely intact since antiquity then.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on September 05, 2017, 02:08:12 PM
I'm not too keen on any of them being restored, but if I had to pick the one I think would be coolest if it was still intact since antiquity (counting the Great Pyramid as already intact today) I'd say the Lighthouse.

The Great Pyramid is still here, but looted. Assume for the pyramid choice you could have it totally unlooted, so with its outer cladding intact, and with the king's mummy inside plus all the original treasures.

HVC

the shining limestone and gold cap of the pyramids would probably be the coolest to see.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on September 05, 2017, 02:13:15 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 05, 2017, 02:08:12 PM

The Great Pyramid is still here, but looted. Assume for the pyramid choice you could have it totally unlooted, so with its outer cladding intact, and with the king's mummy inside plus all the original treasures.

Then it's a hard choice, but since the Eqyptians would be the ones who would excavate the tomb they would probably superglue Khufu's nose or something and the whole affair would turn a bit meh. Depends on how much written material was deposited in the tomb (and preserved), if they put a lot of documents describing fairly down to earth stuff about their economy and administration etc then that would weigh heavily for the pyramid in my mind.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

I'm leaning Hanging Gardens because it comes with the secondary benefit of learning exactly what the hell it was, assuming it really ever existed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 05, 2017, 02:36:25 PM
I'm leaning Hanging Gardens because it comes with the secondary benefit of learning exactly what the hell it was, assuming it really ever existed.

:huh: A collection of hanging trees.

Malthus