News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

depending on the size of the company, they have a budget for this stuff. simple calculation. I mean your day gig pays you well enough so you don't need it, but no harm asking. You're be a paid artist, younger you would be proud hah.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

I never thought I would ever personally know somebody who had their IP stolen by China. You and your Aunt now probably have something in common Malthus!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2021, 04:02:17 PM
depending on the size of the company, they have a budget for this stuff. simple calculation. I mean your day gig pays you well enough so you don't need it, but no harm asking. You're be a paid artist, younger you would be proud hah.

The problem with being a paid artist is not getting paid to do art, it is the truly pitiful amounts that you get paid to do art. 😄

Every day I get asked whether I do commissions; every day I say that I am flattered, but that I cannot do commissions ... the reason is that the market rate is set by legions of fan artists who do art using computer drawing programs, very quickly, and who are young and desperate for some cash ... you can get a drawing done for less than $15. I'm too slow to make it worth my time, as I could never charge even a minimum wage hourly rate - it takes me days to do each drawing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

charge what you want and let them say no

or yes

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2021, 04:11:12 PM

or yes

Agree there.

Oh by the way I made an Instagram account just to follow you Malthus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

i follow another artist (coworker, so 13% of the people i follow are artists, wooo i'm cultured hah). However, she does stuff on canvas, so different medium and i would imagine different rates and norms.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

or yes

Even if they say yes, that would mean doing commission work, meaning drawing what the client wants. It would take a lot of money to make that an attractive proposition! Given how many very talented artists are doing inexpensive commission work, the money is unlikely to be available.

I'm pretty content keeping this a non-paying hobby done purely for fun, though I've done special pictures as gifts for friends and family.

Though if I get permission to print them from the IP holders, I'd be willing to do that, mainly because I'd love to have an actual physical card deck. That would be awesome. There is plenty of interest in buying prints, and the pictures are already made.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2021, 04:12:52 PM
i follow another artist (coworker, so 13% of the people i follow are artists, wooo i'm cultured hah). However, she does stuff on canvas, so different medium and i would imagine different rates and norms.

A couple of years back I asked a young artist to do a canvass for my office.  She was very reluctant.  It would be her first commission (she sold completed small pieces on her website) and first large canvass.  She was also very nervous about asking for an amount of money that would make it worth her time.  What made her most nervous is that she had no idea how long it would take never having done it before.  I set her mind at ease by telling her I wanted to be able to say I was the first person to commission her painting and that she could tell me what a fair price was after she was finished.  To start I gave her 500 to buy her supplies and pay some expenses.  In the end it took several months and the painting was amazing (her interpretation of one of my favourite places - looking across the inlet toward the mountains in Deep Cove). She quoted a price that I thought was too low so I added a little extra. 

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2021, 04:12:13 PM

or yes

Agree there.

Oh by the way I made an Instagram account just to follow you Malthus.

One more step towards influencer stardom! 😀

Now I have to think of a new card idea ...

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2021, 04:23:11 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2021, 04:12:52 PM

A couple of years back I asked a young artist to do a canvass for my office.  She was very reluctant.  It would be her first commission (she sold completed small pieces on her website) and first large canvass.  She was also very nervous about asking for an amount of money that would make it worth her time.  What made her most nervous is that she had no idea how long it would take never having done it before.  I set her mind at ease by telling her I wanted to be able to say I was the first person to commission her painting and that she could tell me what a fair price was after she was finished.  To start I gave her 500 to buy her supplies and pay some expenses.  In the end it took several months and the painting was amazing (her interpretation of one of my favourite places - looking across the inlet toward the mountains in Deep Cove). She quoted a price that I thought was too low so I added a little extra.

You are the dream client!

If you ever have a chance, post a photo. That would be awesome.

crazy canuck

Will do, the next time I get to my office....

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 11, 2021, 04:50:31 PM
Will do, the next time I get to my office....

A sobering thought ... how long that may be.  :(

The Larch

Hey Mal, this music video popped up in my Youtube recommendations today and it really reminded me of your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WsZ2fUXbZg

It's an animated short of a girl visiting a vampire lair with some dark cabaret song as leitmotiv (there's a whole series of them continuing the story, if you want to follow it), and checking the animator's channel I saw that she also did some Hazbin fan animations.

Malthus

Quote from: The Larch on January 14, 2021, 06:41:08 PM
Hey Mal, this music video popped up in my Youtube recommendations today and it really reminded me of your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WsZ2fUXbZg

It's an animated short of a girl visiting a vampire lair with some dark cabaret song as leitmotiv (there's a whole series of them continuing the story, if you want to follow it), and checking the animator's channel I saw that she also did some Hazbin fan animations.

The Night is another one of my favourites! 😀

What I really love about it is this: this video is actually a young Israeli animation student's school project! She was a fan of the song, wanted to use it for her project, and wrote to the singer for permission - he said yes, then basically forgot about it - she made the animation and it went viral. So much so, that the singer started to get significant publicity because of the animation. He gives an interview in which he described just how odd the whole experience was.

The animator went on to do a bunch of stuff, including working on Hazbin Hotel (another fan-based animation project). She did some of the most intense bits!

The Larch

Oh wow, so she actually worked in Hazbin Hotel? No wonder I found the style so similar! :lol: