News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2020, 11:19:28 AM
Note the rank of the card ... the "A" isn't an "Ace", but an "alpha" ... matched by an "omega" on the other side.

Also, under each rank letter is a flower - for the angelic side, blooming; for the devilish side, wilting. Not specifically Christian, though. Same with the heart and spade, representing life and (spiritual) death.

Ah.  I completely missed the Alpha-Omega!  I generally saw the light/dark, angellic/demonic dichotomy but had figured you meant something more explicit (which you did).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2020, 11:31:47 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2020, 11:19:28 AM
Note the rank of the card ... the "A" isn't an "Ace", but an "alpha" ... matched by an "omega" on the other side.

Also, under each rank letter is a flower - for the angelic side, blooming; for the devilish side, wilting. Not specifically Christian, though. Same with the heart and spade, representing life and (spiritual) death.

Ah.  I completely missed the Alpha-Omega!  I generally saw the light/dark, angellic/demonic dichotomy but had figured you meant something more explicit (which you did).

To be fair, it is kinda hidden in plain sight - when you see an A, you reasonably expect that the "A" is standing for "Ace".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I may have already said it but your stuff is completely awesome. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

I haven't added to this thread for a while - I've been doing some new cards, though.

Joker: "I hate that f*cking clown"

https://i.imgur.com/LCkF3yL.jpg

Ace of Diamonds: "Everything will be okay"

https://i.imgur.com/biG9XK3.jpg

Two of Diamonds: "My world is Burning Down around me"

https://i.imgur.com/mQKMXSI.jpg

Four of diamonds: "Trapped on the Lust Circle of Hell"

https://i.imgur.com/QnRu7w2.jpg

One non-card pic: a portrait of my kittens

https://i.imgur.com/GIWFUWM.jpg

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Nice work Malthus. Are they getting made into a regular deck of playing cards (or did this happen already)?

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on January 07, 2021, 12:45:08 PM
Nice work Malthus. Are they getting made into a regular deck of playing cards (or did this happen already)?

I would like to print actual decks (there are companies that specialize in this), but because they are fan art, I would want to secure the permission of the creators of the show before I did so.

ulmont

Do you have a collection anywhere I could point people at?

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on January 08, 2021, 07:09:39 PM

Yup - I post all my art stuff on Instagram, under "Malthusarts".

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2021, 08:59:44 PM

Thanks!

Malthus

Quote from: ulmont on January 09, 2021, 12:17:53 PM

Thanks!

No problem. I'm happy to get new followers there, even if it is rather meaningless - my aim to to get up to 6K over the next day or so. 😉 Though I'm only in the planning stages for a new card, so it may take longer than that.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on January 09, 2021, 06:11:40 PM
No problem. I'm happy to get new followers there, even if it is rather meaningless - my aim to to get up to 6K over the next day or so. 😉 Though I'm only in the planning stages for a new card, so it may take longer than that.

Whoa! 6K? You're a bona fide influencer!:cheers:

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on January 11, 2021, 01:05:23 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 09, 2021, 06:11:40 PM

Whoa! 6K? You're a bona fide influencer!:cheers:

Went over 6K followers today - let cash and fame rain down upon me!

:crickets:

😉

But seriously - it is fun to see so many positive comments, upvotes and followers. One thing I did not anticipate was that people would download my fan art and use it for other things - with my permission or not. Some factory in China was selling merch with my stuff printed on it for awhile, and at least four people have asked permission to get my pics tattooed on themselves. Seeing one of those in the street would be beyond weird. 😄

HVC

added. Number 6030 :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2021, 02:29:53 PM

Art supply sponsorships :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on January 11, 2021, 03:52:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 11, 2021, 02:29:53 PM

Art supply sponsorships :P

A friend of mine quite seriously suggested I approach the makers of the paint pen I use. 😄

I compromised by mentioning them and adding them to the tags. I simply don't have the gall to commit e-beggary for sponsorships.