News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

It's a great thing about drawing.

Unfortunately, I suck at drawing. And the pottery studio where I go is closing today. :(
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 16, 2020, 01:46:37 PM
It's a great thing about drawing.

Unfortunately, I suck at drawing. And the pottery studio where I go is closing today. :(

You do pottery? I never knew that. Many years ago, I did pottery sculpture (a family business).

What sorts of pottery do you do?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

It's just a hobby. I throw pots and mugs and plates on the wheel. It's been a very soothing, non-academic occupation.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 16, 2020, 10:47:20 AM
:cool:

Good work there Malthus, keep it up, for all we know the way things are going, in a few months this might be one of the best paying Languish professions, selling paintings on the streets.  :P

Maybe online.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 16, 2020, 01:56:39 PM
It's just a hobby. I throw pots and mugs and plates on the wheel. It's been a very soothing, non-academic occupation.

Hobbies are what make our daily occupations bearable.  :)

I've always found the arts to be an excellent source of something like meditation - at least, if you get 'in the groove', for once you aren't thinking about anything else. If something beautiful or useful comes of that, it's an added bonus.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Haven't posted much here for a while - I haven't been drawing as much lately.

My old cat passed away this summer, which put me into mourning. I had her for 18 years, since she was a kitten, and she was my constant companion - I miss her terribly.

After a couple of months mourning period, I decided to get a couple of rescue kittens - two brothers from the same litter. They are super adorable, friendly and energetic. To celebrate their arrival, I did a Cartoon style portrait of them in my usual style:

https://imgur.com/a/qXxRqx0

A photo of the two resting together:

https://imgur.com/a/devb6Mr

fromtia

Are you using pens for these Malthus, if so which brand? Also, how are you laying down this gold color?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

fromtia

Sorry about your cat. My cats 18 and never leaves my side. I love that cat. I've been preparing myself for her demise and cherishing every cuddle.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Malthus

Quote from: fromtia on November 03, 2020, 12:42:57 PM
Are you using pens for these Malthus, if so which brand? Also, how are you laying down this gold color?

I use the Krylon 24kt Gold Leafing paint pen For the gold - there are lots of metallic gold paint pens out there, but I really like this particular colour.

I use regular old black brush markers for the black.

Malthus

Quote from: fromtia on November 03, 2020, 12:44:51 PM
Sorry about your cat. My cats 18 and never leaves my side. I love that cat. I've been preparing myself for her demise and cherishing every cuddle.

It's a difficult time. I knew it was coming but nothing can really prepare you for the loss. I'm just grateful for our time together.

Malthus

On a happier note - I did this picture as a gift for a friend of mine. He's a sucker for Christian symbolism, so I added plenty. What do you all think?

https://imgur.com/a/b31Kzaq

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2020, 11:10:53 AM
On a happier note - I did this picture as a gift for a friend of mine. He's a sucker for Christian symbolism, so I added plenty. What do you all think?

I see the chi-rho, but what other symbolism am I missing?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Looks quite cool, though I guess you're now headed for some sort of Jewish hell, I presume? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on November 04, 2020, 11:13:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on November 04, 2020, 11:10:53 AM

I see the chi-rho, but what other symbolism am I missing?

Note the rank of the card ... the "A" isn't an "Ace", but an "alpha" ... matched by an "omega" on the other side.

Also, under each rank letter is a flower - for the angelic side, blooming; for the devilish side, wilting. Not specifically Christian, though. Same with the heart and spade, representing life and (spiritual) death.

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on November 04, 2020, 11:14:04 AM
Looks quite cool, though I guess you're now headed for some sort of Jewish hell, I presume? :unsure:

Most Jews don't believe in a Hell ... fortunately for me. 😄