News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A quick trip to Barcelona with the boys

Started by Pedrito, August 27, 2017, 05:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

Some weeks ago, I was about to book some days of vacation in Paris, when my wife told me she was scared of potential acts of terror. "Instead of Paris, why don't we go to Barcelona?"
And two days before the Rambla attack, I booked flight and accomodation in Barcelona, Sept. 6 to 10, for all the family.  :zipped:

Is there any spaniard Languishite up for one round of beer or more, during those days?
And, after the classic sights (Gaudì houses, Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, ...), is there something different and fun to do with the children, that are not children anymore (almost 14, 11, 8 y.o.)?
My oldest daughter would be interested in knowing some cool and trendy shops to visit and spend some monies in  :ph34r:

Thanks,

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Richard Hakluyt

With the current fashion in terrorist attacks the safest place to visit is probably Venice  :P

celedhring

Always up for a beer or four with a Languishite.

As for things to do with children... You can always check if there's some cool expo at the Cosmocaixa science museum, always loved that place as a kid: https://obrasociallacaixa.org/en/ciencia/cosmocaixa/el-museo

It's located in Montjuïc, which is a popular area for visitors (very nice views), so you don't need to stray off the path too much.

There's also the Tibidabo amusement park: https://www.tibidabo.cat/en/home  - haven't been there since I was a kid though, no idea if it's shitty nowadays. But it also has nice views since it's up the tallest mountain north of town.

Of course, people looking for an amusement park usually go to Port Aventura, but that's a full day trip.

Regarding "trendy shops" I'm the last person to ask. Most famous fashion stores are located in Passeig de Gràcia (including the most expensive ones), then you have tons of more accessible boutiques littered around the Gòtic quarter.

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 28, 2017, 02:37:39 AM
With the current fashion in terrorist attacks the safest place to visit is probably Venice  :P

I'll be testing your hypothesis out in October. :ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

I have two tips for Venice, stay in the Cannaregio area if you can and when you visit the San Marco area go as early as possible in the morning.

Richard Hakluyt

I have a question about language. Assuming Pedrito and Celery get to have a beer or two together, to what extent will you be able to have a conversation only using your native tongues?

The Larch

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 28, 2017, 03:50:21 AM
I have a question about language. Assuming Pedrito and Celery get to have a beer or two together, to what extent will you be able to have a conversation only using your native tongues?

After a couple of beers I'd say "to a pretty good extent".  :P

Iormlund

I could join in if we can do it on Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning. My gf lives just below Parc Güell and I visit every other weekend.

Admiral Yi

Anyone know how much prices dropped after the attack?  Might be a good way to plan trips.  :hmm:

Iormlund

I doubt it'll have much of an impact on tourism. Would be nice if it did, though. Constant noise at all times, and stupidly high rent prices are not exactly great for the locals.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on August 29, 2017, 10:09:24 AM
I could join in if we can do it on Friday, Saturday or Sunday morning. My gf lives just below Parc Güell and I visit every other weekend.

No prob for me. My schedules are very flexible.

Pedrito

So, thanks for the replies and the info. I think Montjuic will be a sure destination, IIRC there's the Fundaciò Joan Mirò there too?

The boys are already geared up for the aquarium, although I fear the monstrous queues; Ive tried to buy online tickets, but the site doesn't work very well.

About the Languish meeting, I'll try to plan a couple possible dates; I'll be visiting an italian friend, but still don't know when I will meet her. I will contact you by PM.
BTW, our apartment will be in the Plaza de Tetuàn area, not far from the Gran Vìa; do you know some good, family-friendly (i.e. not too formal) restaurants in the area?

@Garb: I live 35 kms from Venice, write me if you want to meet for a couple beers.

@Rich: I think half a pint will suffice to start bickering about football in three different languages and two sign alphabets.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

celedhring

Oh yeah, forgot about the Aquarium (it didn't exist when I was a kid) it's a hit with families.

The Fundació Joan Miró is at Montjuïc, but you have to climb up the mountain. It's a very nice walk, but I presume your children won't be too thrilled. Alternatively one of the tourist buses stops there, or you just can take the regular 150 bus which departs from Plaza d'Espanya (which is at the foot of the mountain).

celedhring

Drawing a blank for remarkable restaurants around Tetuán. Not a place with lots of activity. There's a bunch of offices in the area so you're bound to find loads of serviceable eateries.

There's Vivant (https://www.tripadvisor.es/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d6870895-Reviews-Vivant-Barcelona_Catalonia.html). Good food but I recall the place being a bit small and you're bringing a family. I guess you can check it out since it should be really close. There was also Can Soteras but it has gone way way downhill. Don't go there.

EDIT: asked a friend who works in the area and recommends this place: https://www.tripadvisor.es/Restaurant_Review-g187497-d6778563-Reviews-Bar_Centro_Burgers_Craft_Beer-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Iormlund

I go to a burger place just a couple blocks along Passeig Sant Joan called Goiko Grill. I don't know how it compares to the one Celed's friend recommends as I've never been there. Making a reservation is recommended though, and essential for the weekend.