News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

About those peaceful antifa protests...

Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

In Finland, it's now been several occasions where the police has done nothing about Nazi rallies, even though the Nazi organization has been declared illegal. The police don't even order the rally to move elsewhere from the city centre, even though they could legally do that. On the other hand, the police often uses much rougher methods against antifascist counter-marches organized to oppose the Nazis, they order other events to move out of the Nazis' way, etc.

This year, the police finally intervened in the Nazi rally, but only to confiscate actual Nazi Germany flags carried by the marchers.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2018, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 18, 2018, 02:55:26 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2018, 10:06:51 PM
allright, then an unofficial policy.  Something left unwritten, but a rule everyone knows: look the other way if you see a nazi punching a jew, a leftist, an arab, a black, etc.  Something that is still in effect in most US cities.
Bing.  :thumbsup:

That is not even remotely true.

I reject the claim that there is some known and understood bias among law enforcement in the US to ignore right wing violence against other groups.

That is bullshit, and inflammatory bullshit as well.
It isn't bullshit, inflammatory or otherwise.  I don't particularly care if you believe myself or the other who have put forth the point.  I've seen it in person and read about numerous incidents throughout the country.  Is it an official policy?  No.  No one is suggesting it is to my knowledge.  Is it a worrying trend that happens around the country?  Yes.  Does it mean all cops are bad?  Absolutely not.  I don't think anyone is suggesting that.  When the "Thin Blue Line" mentality makes almost all cops have a siege mentality and an unwillingness to condemn and either vocally or silently condone the actions of bad cops, it is incredibly troubling though and doesn't bode well for things to improve.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

In unrelated news, it's just come out that prosecutors have been investigating a police department in Frankfurt since September or so because at least 5 officers were spreading/sharing Nazi propaganda and possibly sent threats to a Muslim lawyer.

Not sure about the US, but in Germany police forces tend towards conservative or very conservative. Probably not surprising for a job that requires a certain "law & order" mentality.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

chipwich

Who in Finland gets to decide who is a Nazi?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Quote from: chipwich on December 18, 2018, 05:24:29 PM
Who in Finland gets to decide who is a Nazi?

The Nazis belong to an organization that publicly promotes Nazi ideology. So I guess they decide themselves.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 18, 2018, 02:45:27 PM
There isn't one single unified police force in the US, there are thousands.  Every county, city, town, and village has its own police force, and even within a single force there are different precincts.  There are lots of good, professional police forces with good leadership and then there are some that are not as good. Even in the good forces there are weaker links.  At the end of the day you are only as good as your lousiest precinct captain or your worst trained officer. 

It's actually possible for the police to be pretty damn good overall and yet still have lots of abuses and problems that need to be corrected.

Sure, but a troubling sign of your country's slide into right wing extremism is seemingly well read citizens like Yi denying it ever happens and forceful rhetoricians like Berkut verbally attacking anyone who suggests otherwise.

If everyone agreed it was a problem that needed to be dealt with then you would be correct to suggest these are merely isolated incidents.  But surprisingly that is not the case.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Oexmelin

It leaves out the Proud Boys' racism. You know, the kind of racism that prompts to participate in shows like the Daily Shoah.
Que le grand cric me croque !

derspiess

For a lot of you guys, I'm sure they are.  I guess if you expand the definition of "Nazi" wide enough and you can just go out and punch anyone you don't like.