Main Menu

About those peaceful antifa protests...

Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 16, 2018, 05:27:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 16, 2018, 04:51:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 16, 2018, 12:00:58 PM
I usually find that anything that a possible nazi would do that would deserve punching is usually already illegal and thus punching by me becomes innecessary.

What happens when the cops look the other way.  That's been a bit of a problem here.
how many times did this happen?  You make it sound like it's official policy in the US.

Enough times that it is something of a problem.  I know, I know, it's not great horror of getting in a brawl with metal-heads or spiking a tree, crimes that oppress the whole of Quebec, but we do have police who aren't all that keen in arresting violent Nazis.  That was one of the problems at Charlotteville.

In Missouri we also have problems with cops who enjoy preying on protesters.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/30/its-still-blast-beating-people-st-louis-police-indicted-assault-undercover-officer-posing-protester/?utm_term=.a763028297f3

These guys were only arrested and charged because they accidentally beat up an undercover cop.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on December 16, 2018, 09:04:49 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 16, 2018, 05:27:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 16, 2018, 04:51:17 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 16, 2018, 12:00:58 PM
I usually find that anything that a possible nazi would do that would deserve punching is usually already illegal and thus punching by me becomes innecessary.

What happens when the cops look the other way.  That's been a bit of a problem here.
how many times did this happen?  You make it sound like it's official policy in the US.

Enough times that it is something of a problem.  I know, I know, it's not great horror of getting in a brawl with metal-heads or spiking a tree, crimes that oppress the whole of Quebec, but we do have police who aren't all that keen in arresting violent Nazis.  That was one of the problems at Charlotteville.

In Missouri we also have problems with cops who enjoy preying on protesters.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2018/11/30/its-still-blast-beating-people-st-louis-police-indicted-assault-undercover-officer-posing-protester/?utm_term=.a763028297f3

These guys were only arrested and charged because they accidentally beat up an undercover cop.

I asked for examples of police looking the other way while Nazis were beating people, something that would indicate it is an official policy in the US.

Charlottesville is dubious, the police was overwhelmed, not complicit.
The other case is one of police brutality, nothing to do with nazis.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

It's not "official policy".  Just like how shooting unarmed black men is not official policy.  It's still a problem.  I used the example of St. Louis because it was local and it demonstrated the mindset of the the police.

This is a good article on the issue. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/magazine/FBI-charlottesville-white-nationalism-far-right.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2018, 01:09:18 PM
I asked for examples of police looking the other way while Nazis were beating people, something that would indicate it is an official policy in the US.

Nothing has been an official policy since the 1960s. It is still a problem though, which is what makes it so complicated and difficult to address.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2018, 04:27:45 PM
Nothing has been an official policy since the 1960s. It is still a problem though, which is what makes it so complicated and difficult to address.

You agree with Raz that police are looking the other way?

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on December 17, 2018, 02:27:13 PM
It's not "official policy".  Just like how shooting unarmed black men is not official policy.  It's still a problem.  I used the example of St. Louis because it was local and it demonstrated the mindset of the the police.

This is a good article on the issue. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/magazine/FBI-charlottesville-white-nationalism-far-right.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage
I have seen no credible evidence that US police force, generally speaking, are more inclined to shoot unarmed blacks than any other ethnicity.  They do get reported a lot more, though.

Everything I've read so far seems to point fatal police interventions are a huge problem, but it ain't specifically and unfairly targetting blacks.  Racial profiling is certainly an issue though, and in a country with very lax gun control laws, things will escalate quickly if the cop feels threatened in any slight way.  And many police officers seems to retort to shooting first, asking questions later.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 17, 2018, 04:27:45 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2018, 01:09:18 PM

allright, then an unofficial policy.  Something left unwritten, but a rule everyone knows: look the other way if you see a nazi punching a jew, a leftist, an arab, a black, etc.  Something that is still in effect in most US cities.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2018, 10:04:19 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 17, 2018, 02:27:13 PM

I have seen no credible evidence that US police force, generally speaking, are more inclined to shoot unarmed blacks than any other ethnicity.  They do get reported a lot more, though.

Everything I've read so far seems to point fatal police interventions are a huge problem, but it ain't specifically and unfairly targetting blacks.  Racial profiling is certainly an issue though, and in a country with very lax gun control laws, things will escalate quickly if the cop feels threatened in any slight way.  And many police officers seems to retort to shooting first, asking questions later.

:lmfao:

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2018, 10:06:51 PM
allright, then an unofficial policy.  Something left unwritten, but a rule everyone knows: look the other way if you see a nazi punching a jew, a leftist, an arab, a black, etc.  Something that is still in effect in most US cities.
Bing.  :thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 18, 2018, 02:55:26 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 17, 2018, 10:06:51 PM
Bing.  :thumbsup:

That is not even remotely true.

I reject the claim that there is some known and understood bias among law enforcement in the US to ignore right wing violence against other groups.

That is bullshit, and inflammatory bullshit as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Oexmelin

What is your basis for rejecting the claim?

To the extent that there is overt activism on the part of police officers, there is a clear predominance of right-wing groups. Which is not to say that there are no environmentalists, or leftists within police forces. Simply, the sort of activism of right-wing groups are "readable" to police officers: they are "weapon positive", demonstrating machismo, celebrating force, and usually conducted with discipline. Police forces tend to couch these actions in terms of "First Amendment", and therefore worthy of protection. They are also often armed. Meanwhile, activism by left-leaning groups are perceived as marginal, trouble-making - and usually employing languages and causes with much fewer echoes in police forces.

This is well-known. This is not to say that police forces are entirely made up of fascists, but rather, that they are building upon years of tradition against leftist activism, while right-wing activism (notably racism in the South) was met with considerable toleration.

"The paper finds that while thousands of FBI agents have been devoted to counterterrorism, the number of field agents assigned to domestic terrorism has averaged less than 330 in the most recent years for which data is available. Further, the Brennan Center report "Wrong Priorities on Fighting Terrorism" shows that even when the FBI looks to counter domestic terrorism, it often minimizes far-right violence while aggressively targeting minority activists and environmentalist movements that have presented a much lower danger."

http://www.brennancenter.org/press-release/federal-officials-often-overlook-threat-far-right-violence

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

My basis is the nonexistence of police looking the other way while a Nazi punches a Jew, black, Arab, etc.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 18, 2018, 01:51:26 PM
My basis is the nonexistence of police looking the other way while a Nazi punches a Jew, black, Arab, etc.

How often does this even happen? Sounds like it can only happen in a bar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

The Minsky Moment

There isn't one single unified police force in the US, there are thousands.  Every county, city, town, and village has its own police force, and even within a single force there are different precincts.  There are lots of good, professional police forces with good leadership and then there are some that are not as good. Even in the good forces there are weaker links.  At the end of the day you are only as good as your lousiest precinct captain or your worst trained officer. 

It's actually possible for the police to be pretty damn good overall and yet still have lots of abuses and problems that need to be corrected.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson