News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Psychological Study of the Alt Right Released

Started by Jacob, August 16, 2017, 06:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Some interesting bits.

Apparently the alt right scored high on dehumanizing others, but were basically average when it came to things like concern for the economy or social isolation.

Summary here with links to the working paper and raw data.

Ed Anger

Nerd shit. They are a bunch of virgin Assburgers who fuck their anime pillows then cry when they climax.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

If you're interested in this sort of stuff the complete: Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil by Hannah Arendt is available online.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 17, 2017, 12:48:32 PM
Nah. That's Seedy's job.

You have your thread for your moronic drawings.  Use it.

Ed Anger

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO MORE POLL CAT CARTOONS.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

I'd prefer if people didn't indulge them by calling them "alt-right". I fail to see what is "alt" about them. Usage of social media is pretty much the norm if you are younger than 80.

Josquius

Surprising that they scored average on concern for the economy. They usually strike me as the type who don't give a shit if the city burns so long as the brown people are the ones to die in the flames.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on August 18, 2017, 07:47:38 AM
I'd prefer if people didn't indulge them by calling them "alt-right". I fail to see what is "alt" about them. Usage of social media is pretty much the norm if you are younger than 80.

I actually think alt right is a great term - it captures all the hard misogynist MRAs, the "we're just trolling", the "we're patriots defending the country against evil foreigners", the hard religious bigots, the "we're not Nazis we just think white people are being deliberately screwed and we want to help them out" people who technically aren't Nazi (at least at the moment). If we call all those people Nazis we'll end up with a bunch of "well technically they aren't..." tangential arguments which are just a waste of time.

Those groups all have a variety of hedging and white-washing strategies to tell themselves (and everyone else) they're not Nazis, but when it comes to political action they make common cause. Having a term for that is useful, and conflating them with generic right wing political perspectives is equally counterproductive.

Alt-right works in my eyes because it describes the group of people who attempt to look as conventional right wing while pursuing Nazi-aligned political objectives.

The Brain

"Alt-right" seems fine to me. It conveys loser.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on August 16, 2017, 06:00:09 PM
Some interesting bits.

Apparently the alt right scored high on dehumanizing others, but were basically average when it came to things like concern for the economy or social isolation.

Summary here with links to the working paper and raw data.

That's not really useful, as far as study goes.

I prefer to look at the profile of all extremists:
https://arxiv.org/abs/1704.00119

And (not) surprisingly, there's a lot of similarities in their profile, at least for the theoritically non violent ones.

The first 8 page are devoted to the actual study, the rest is the methodology used.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.