Have the 1980s officially started for Chinese cinema?

Started by CountDeMoney, August 08, 2017, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Your thoughts, hive drone caricature Mono?  How about you, destabilizing round-eye dissident sympathizer Xiacob?

QuoteFlag-waving Chinese blockbuster Wolf Warriors 2 smashes cinema records
Tale of special forces in African war zone has ridden a wave of patriotic fervour with its stunts, soldiers and western baddies

The Failing Agence France-Presse
Shanghai
Tuesday 8 August 2017 03.58 EDT

A flag-waving Chinese action film depicting the country's soldiers saving war-ravaged Africans from western baddies has become China's all-time top box-office earner, headlining a summer of patriotic cinematic fare.

The wildly popular Wolf Warriors 2 boasts the ominous tagline "whoever offends China will be hunted down no matter how far away they are"  :lol:, and millions of Chinese cinemagoers have lapped it up since the movie's release less than two weeks ago.

The blockbuster has raked in more than 3.4bn yuan (£383m) since debuting on 27 July, according to unofficial China box office trackers Maoyan and other industry tallies.

The film tells the story of a former operative with Chinese special forces and his foray into an unnamed African war zone to rescue compatriots and downtrodden local people from rebels and war-mongering western mercenaries.

The privately funded movie, which lasts just over two hours, is riding a wave of patriotic fervour drummed up by the ruling Communist party. It also comes soon after China opened a naval base in Djibouti, a big step in the country's expanding military presence abroad.

Not all patriotic Chinese films this season have enjoyed such rave reviews. The Founding of an Army, which chronicles the origins of the People's Liberation Army, has better-known actors but has been panned by critics, moviegoers and even the families of a number of Chinese revolutionary heroes.  :(

Wolf Warriors 2 is directed by Wu Jing, a martial arts expert who also plays the lead role of Leng Feng. It is replete with special effects and explosions and its ending sets the stage for a likely third instalment. The first film had nothing like the success of the sequel.

State media has jumped on the bandwagon, with the Global Times – which often takes a strident nationalist tone – calling the film "a phenomenon".

Many Chinese moviegoers say its success is due not only to its unmistakeable message about China's rising military might but also to its quality action sequences, pulse-racing stunts and acting.

Traditionally, Chinese films have relied more on star names and good looks than acting – a criticism levelled at Founding of an Army – and have been weighed down by weak storylines.

The trailer not starring Sly Stallone--
https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/aug/08/watch-the-trailer-for-wolf-warriors-2-video

Jacob

derspiess

Seedy offends China on a daily basis.  GET HIM BOYS
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2017, 08:38:22 PM
:lol:

Yeah that looks like the 80s alright.

Whatever happened to good, old fashioned revolutionary operas :(  Those were magnificent.  And now they decide to go Reagan Era?

Still looking to score a clean DVD copy of The East is Red.   :(

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 08, 2017, 09:10:24 PM
Seedy offends China on a daily basis.  GET HIM BOYS

Wambo: First Brud, Part II

"Tiger penis soup."
"What mean 'tiger penis soup,' Rambo?"
"It means my life force is full of vitality and virility."

Jacob

Seems like it's a nuanced critique of American foreign policy, even if the proposed solution is a bit far-fetched.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2017, 11:50:26 PM
Seems like it's a nuanced critique of American foreign policy, even if the proposed solution is a bit far-fetched.

:D It looks like every action film ever.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2017, 01:22:56 AM
Oh yeah, it appears to be dripping with nuance.

Recheck your sarcasm meter.  You, especially, need to have a working one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2017, 08:18:21 AM

I had only woken up when I posted that. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2017, 08:30:36 AM

:thumbsup:

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 09, 2017, 08:30:36 AM

Stay woke.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall