News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Backwards experiences

Started by Josquius, August 03, 2017, 09:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I've just realised something today. That "Dune" is something I experienced in a completely backwards way.

My first encounter was with the game. The first Dune is one of the best things ever and it saddens me greatly that there has never been another game like it.
Next I watched the movie. It appeared on TV a few years after I first played the game  and since I was a fan of the game I watched it. It was.... Less good. Weird.
A little while later I came across the book in a  second hand book shop and finally read it. An experience no doubt marred by knowing the story back to front already. I may even have played Dune 2000 by this point.

It isn't the first time this happens. It has also happened a lot via American shows like the Simpsons spoofing famous movies before I'd ever seen the movie.

Has this happened to anyone else? With what?
I am imagining it is a fairly millennial phenomena. Any earlier experiences?
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

My Dune experience was exactly like yours.  I played the game first, liked it, then watched the movie, followed by the book.  And in declining order of satisfaction. 

Valmy

Did you watch the miniseries? I thought that was pretty good.

I did find myself wondering when House Ordos was finally going to show up though  :mad:

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on August 03, 2017, 10:57:32 AM
Did you watch the miniseries? I thought that was pretty good.

I did find myself wondering when House Ordos was finally going to show up though  :mad:

Too insidious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.