News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should children be taught to write in cursive?

Started by Savonarola, July 30, 2017, 03:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should children be taught to write in cursive?

Yes
19 (65.5%)
No
10 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 29

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2017, 04:28:38 PM
Is there some technique that you people use to print letters quickly?  Because I'm slow as fuck with that, and only do it when the forms I'm filling out are telling me to do it.  I can't imagine how it can be a practical way to write quickly.  And if I have all the time in the world to write something, then I may as well type it up.

Stop printing all your shit backwards then, Vasili.

Camerus

It's useful enough that it warrants some time being spent on it, but it's no longer worth excessive amounts of time or concern about legibility. With the ubiquity of computers / laptops it's a far less useful skill than it used to be.

HVC

Except for signatures I don't think I've used cursive since elementary school. In high school and college/university we had to write in print to legible. So it would probably be time better spent on learning things like typing if you want to stay on the same theme.

For the purposes of this vote I went with no. That being said, school spends a bunch of time teaching useless things, so whatever
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Is there some technique that you people use to print letters quickly?  Because I'm slow as fuck with that, and only do it when the forms I'm filling out are telling me to do it.  I can't imagine how it can be a practical way to write quickly.  And if I have all the time in the world to write something, then I may as well type it up.

My general writing is sort of a blend of the two, though more on printing side.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

We were taught joined up writing towards the end of junior school.
At senior school we were quickly told to stop doing it.
I guess because it is harder for the teachers to read.
So no. A bit useless.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

As a lefty, I hate cursive. Half of the letters have weird loops that fuck with my mind & I've stop using most of them.

Yes, it should be taught in school. Learning to take fast note is important.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Cursive is mandatory in Hong Kong.  No strong opinion as it is a tradeoff between speed and readability.  But either way most people now use a computer to type and print documents. 

Monoriu

This was one of the many cultural shocks I had in Canada.  When I was a kid, I was told that everybody in the English speaking world used cursive, and we all had to grow up and learn it.  We spent a lot of time and money buying piles and piles of practice books and going through them.  Then I was very surprised that some Canadians didn't use cursive and expressed difficulty in reading mine.  At first I thought it was because my English wasn't good enough and/or my handwriting was horrible.  It took many tries for me to figure out that some of them didn't learn cursive.  My teachers lied to me  :lol:

Ed Anger

If you print your name, I know you are goddamn millinial and you should be sent to a work camp.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Cursive and touch-typing are about equal in my book.  I teach AP courses and college courses and grade AP essays and can guarantee that good penmanship beats good thinking about eight times out of ten in an academic setting.  I think students that can print legibly fast or hunt-and-peck fast (like me) suffer no disadvantage from poor penmanship or poor touch-typing ability.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on July 30, 2017, 06:00:02 PM

My general writing is sort of a blend of the two, though more on printing side.
Same here.

Zanza

Quote from: Savonarola on July 30, 2017, 03:33:24 PMA common argument for learning cursive (in the United States) is so that children can read The Declaration of Independence and other historical documents.
That's a silly argument.  The important thing about the Declaration of Independence are the ideas it spells out,  not the original handwritten copy.