News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should children be taught to write in cursive?

Started by Savonarola, July 30, 2017, 03:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should children be taught to write in cursive?

Yes
19 (65.5%)
No
10 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Savonarola

In the United States writing in cursive isn't part of the Common Core standards; however it is still mandated in about 15 states.  I'm curious what the forum thinks: cursive or no cursive for the youth of today?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

The poll comes because the focus of this quarter's The Henry Ford Magazine (magazine of The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village) is about typography.  One of the articles is about cursive.  A common argument for learning cursive (in the United States) is so that children can read The Declaration of Independence and other historical documents.  The problem with that is that, even if you do know cursive, The Declaration of Independence is hard to read.  The style of cursive has changed over time (and for different uses too; the author made the case that an expert in handwriting in, say, monasteries in the 14th century wouldn't be able to read the script used in castles.)  Some of the changes he noted I found amusing.

The common Roman script (the basis for our Times New Roman type face) was thought to be too "Pagan" by early Christians so they developed something called Uncial.

One of the most widespread cursive styles in the United States in the 19th Century was Specerian, developed by Platt Rogers Spencer (the script used for Coca-Cola).  The one I was taught, Palmer script, was developed because Austin Palmer thought Spencerian looked too feminine.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

What's the alternative to cursive if you want to write with pen on paper?  :huh:

MadBurgerMaker

I don't really see a downside to teaching it outside of the time it takes. At least get them to the point where they can sign their name.

Savonarola

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2017, 03:36:54 PM
What's the alternative to cursive if you want to write with pen on paper?  :huh:

Printing:

Printing is on the left, cursive on the right.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2017, 03:36:54 PM

Print letters. The increased legibility more than makes up for the slower writing speed.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Isn't printing letters much, much slower?  And how are you supposed to take notes when you're writing so slow?

CountDeMoney

As long as your handwritten, scripted, cursive signature is recognized as a legal device, people will have to learn it. 

Once again, it's time for the knuckledragging mouthbreathing niggerhaters to blame the schools, but not the lawyers.

Razgovory

Should still be taught since people still use it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I was taught to write in cursive at school but my calligraphy sucked (and sucks) so much that I switched to print during my teenage years. I'm much more legible that way.

Sophie Scholl

Get rid of it.  Replace the time spent in elementary school learning such a useless skill with an earlier start on a foreign language.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

DGuller

Is there some technique that you people use to print letters quickly?  Because I'm slow as fuck with that, and only do it when the forms I'm filling out are telling me to do it.  I can't imagine how it can be a practical way to write quickly.  And if I have all the time in the world to write something, then I may as well type it up.

Maximus

Optionally as an art or a craft, sure. It's a form of calligraphy anymore.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on July 30, 2017, 04:28:38 PM
Is there some technique that you people use to print letters quickly? 

Paging Dr. Gutenberg.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.