News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows vs Linux

Started by DGuller, July 14, 2017, 12:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I gave Linux yet another go, Mint Cinnamon this time, as viper suggested.  I installed it on a separate SSD, so I don't have any dual boot stuff, I'll just tell BIOS which OS I want to start. 

My original plan was to start up Linux when I'm doing data science stuff, and start up Windows when I'm doing everything else, but I'm actually surprised at how user-friendly Mint is.  I may wind up just using it for everything.

Grey Fox

I have a non gaming computer running Mint Cinnamon. I don't do much with that computer other than browse the web, but I am not missing Windows 10/11.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Update:  I haven't booted to Windows since making that post.  Just never felt I had the need to do that.  I wish I tried Mint/Cinnamon earlier, Ubuntu/Gnome was definitely a much inferior choice.

viper37

Quote from: DGuller on June 20, 2024, 01:17:00 PMI gave Linux yet another go, Mint Cinnamon this time, as viper suggested.  I installed it on a separate SSD, so I don't have any dual boot stuff, I'll just tell BIOS which OS I want to start. 

My original plan was to start up Linux when I'm doing data science stuff, and start up Windows when I'm doing everything else, but I'm actually surprised at how user-friendly Mint is.  I may wind up just using it for everything.
What did I tell you? :P

I discovered Garuda recently.  It's better at supporting modern hardware than Mint is and it's based on Arch Linux.  Can be installed with Cinnamon.  I use it as  live distro sometimes.

Purists dislike it and call it "bloated" though, because it comes with a lot of packages preinstalled.  Geared toward gamers, but as usual, can be used for everything.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HisMajestyBOB

My Linux laptop uses Manjaro, which I wouldn't recommend.
I've always enjoyed Debian and Raspberry Pi OS. Granted, I only use the CLI with the latter because it runs my home server.

I picked up a cheap used Intel mini computer that I plan to install FreeBSD on and using as a headless VM and programming playground. Just haven't had the time yet.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

I almost posted in here last night that I'm just about fed up enough with Windows shenanigans to jump to Linux full time. And then this morning happened.

Yeah, Crowdstrike screwed the pooch big time, but when's the last time you heard about a goofy Linux driver triggering a kernel panic in damn near every machine it touches? And now you've got stuff like eBPF getting even more risky business out of the kernel altogether, and it's almost a no-brainer for me at this point.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 19, 2024, 08:56:48 PMYeah, Crowdstrike screwed the pooch big time, but when's the last time you heard about a goofy Linux driver triggering a kernel panic in damn near every machine it touches? And now you've got stuff like eBPF getting even more risky business out of the kernel altogether, and it's almost a no-brainer for me at this point.
He.  I just read that a Crowdstrike update corrupted a bunch of Debian servers a little while ago.  Crowdstrike was unhelpful with the problem, but IT guys in one of the labs affected figured that by removing the update, their problem was solved.

Needless to say, they were not happy customers.

I wonder if lawsuits can be expected for something major like this.  Cancellation of contrats, or at least non renewals can be expected to.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on July 20, 2024, 02:43:20 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 19, 2024, 08:56:48 PMYeah, Crowdstrike screwed the pooch big time, but when's the last time you heard about a goofy Linux driver triggering a kernel panic in damn near every machine it touches? And now you've got stuff like eBPF getting even more risky business out of the kernel altogether, and it's almost a no-brainer for me at this point.
He.  I just read that a Crowdstrike update corrupted a bunch of Debian servers a little while ago.  Crowdstrike was unhelpful with the problem, but IT guys in one of the labs affected figured that by removing the update, their problem was solved.

Needless to say, they were not happy customers.

I wonder if lawsuits can be expected for something major like this.  Cancellation of contrats, or at least non renewals can be expected to.

Not really. Crowdstrike, like any major software player, is all lawyered up and has bulletproof clauses like "no warranties for anything except the code we produce, and if our code is broken you get a fix or maybe a refund if we feel like it" in all their contracts.

The real fallout of this for Crowdstrike is going to be a dent in their growth rate and having to let their investors know they're expecting to make less money from new contracts over the next few quarters while they work on repairing their reputation. That could branch out into some jobs lost: if they don't need to hire as many people to deal with more customers coming on all the time, they don't need as many recruiters or HR personnel to keep the onboarding straight, and if they don't need as many people to keep the onboarding straight, they might need less operations personnel to keep the internal accounts running straight.
Experience bij!