News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Placebo Effect: Dieting is all in your head

Started by jimmy olsen, July 13, 2017, 06:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I just make sure my prostate gets enough exercise.  Take care of the prostate that takes care of you!

alfred russel

Quote from: Drakken on July 13, 2017, 07:08:35 PM
Losing weight = Calorie consumption < Calorie metabolic maintenance

That's not placebo, that's fact. Even experimentation made by the Nazis has demonstrated that it works.

For all its negatives, the holocaust did demonstrate that eating very few calories while doing vigorous physical work will help you drop pounds. The jewish fellows in those labor camps were quite thin.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on July 13, 2017, 10:34:10 PM
Quote from: Drakken on July 13, 2017, 07:08:35 PM
Losing weight = Calorie consumption < Calorie metabolic maintenance

That's not placebo, that's fact. Even experimentation made by the Nazis has demonstrated that it works.

For all its negatives, the holocaust did demonstrate that eating very few calories while doing vigorous physical work will help you drop pounds. The jewish fellows in those labor camps were quite thin.

:lol: So was 76 days of ranger school. I started at 210 and by the end weighed 173. Was ripped like a mofo. But had the strength of a 10 year old and the energy of a geriatric.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Drakken on July 13, 2017, 07:28:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 13, 2017, 07:26:52 PM

Did you read the first fucking paragraph?

Do you actually read the how fucking dumb the articles you post are, before pressing Post?

I mean wow... diets are all placebo, even though numerous diets are actually proven to work!

I read it. There were numerous links within to various studies you might want to check out.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on July 13, 2017, 10:34:10 PM

Nonsense;  it's just that the stripes were slimming.

The Brain

As I understand placebo it is important in a great many human activities. That being said it IS very simple to lose weight, IF you want to. Will is the way. Many people don't want to lose weight. They may claim (even think) that they do, but they do not. As with all things, if you're not prepared to do what it takes to achieve something, in which meaningful way do you actually want to achieve it?

With weight all it takes is eat a little bit less than you need to maintain fat reserves. It's very simple.

We use discipline all the time. It takes discipline to go to work every day, it takes discipline to not say the first thing that pops into your head, it takes discipline to follow traffic regulations etc etc etc. It's part of being an adult. Now would it be nice to eliminate the need for discipline for some of those things? Sure, it would make more people act in a productive manner since not everyone has discipline.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on July 13, 2017, 10:03:30 PM
Eat the right food. Develop an excersie routine that is progressive, sustainable, within your physical capability and doesn't bore you.

Fuck, it's not rocket science.

While that is obviously true, it is also, for many folks, quite useless.

Akin to telling depressed people "develop healthy daily routines, make some good friends, and be less sad".  :lol:

If they were mentally capable of doing that, presumably they would ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2017, 08:09:47 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 13, 2017, 10:03:30 PM
Eat the right food. Develop an excersie routine that is progressive, sustainable, within your physical capability and doesn't bore you.

Fuck, it's not rocket science.

While that is obviously true, it is also, for many folks, quite useless.

Akin to telling depressed people "develop healthy daily routines, make some good friends, and be less sad".  :lol:

If they were mentally capable of doing that, presumably they would ...

I understand people with a mental illness not being able to cure their mental illness.  I am not so convinced that being fat is akin to having a mental illness unless one equates eating too much a kind of addiction.  I suppose that might be the case for some people.  But given the expansion of waist lines in North America I think it more likely it has more to do with life style.

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2017, 08:41:51 AM
I understand people with a mental illness not being able to cure their mental illness.  I am not so convinced that being fat is akin to having a mental illness unless one equates eating too much a kind of addiction.  I suppose that might be the case for some people.  But given the expansion of waist lines in North America I think it more likely it has more to do with life style.

No, no, no.  It's all a thyroid problem. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Not an illness, but not a simple cure either - even though everyone knows what the cure is (eat less, exercise more).

While depression is classified as a mental illness, 'situational' depression isn't simply a chemical imbalance - more like a bad cycle of behaviors and thoughts.

The "cure" in both cases is indeed a mental one. It is similar to the "cure" for smoking (which is of course to ... stop smoking).

All three (overeating, smoking, depression) are similar to each other in this way - that how to stop the problem is, on the surface "obvious", but in practice some find it hard to do. In all three cases, those without those particular problems often have scant sympathy - the solution is so obvious, so why the overweight, smoking or chronically sad person can't just successfully pull themselves out of it by a simple exercise of willpower must be because they are weak.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I don't think the fat fucks on Languish are retarded nutjobs.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2017, 09:08:24 AM

Not an illness, but not a simple cure either - even though everyone knows what the cure is (eat less, exercise more).

While depression is classified as a mental illness, 'situational' depression isn't simply a chemical imbalance - more like a bad cycle of behaviors and thoughts.

The "cure" in both cases is indeed a mental one. It is similar to the "cure" for smoking (which is of course to ... stop smoking).

All three (overeating, smoking, depression) are similar to each other in this way - that how to stop the problem is, on the surface "obvious", but in practice some find it hard to do. In all three cases, those without those particular problems often have scant sympathy - the solution is so obvious, so why the overweight, smoking or chronically sad person can't just successfully pull themselves out of it by a simple exercise of willpower must be because they are weak.
Very well put.

Jacob

I think that lifestyle is one way of framing it, but if we are looking at it as as social phenomenon I think food infrastructure and other social structures are more relevant things to consider.

If the observation is "look at how North Americans have gotten way fatter" then "it's the lifestyle" is not an explanation but simply a restating of the observation - North American lifestyles exist in a very different context now than in the past. So what are the things that affect the North American lifestyle that results in the expanding waistline?

If we approach any given individual case - so-and-so is really fat because of their lifestyle - the answer there (assuming they want to lose weight) is how can that individual restructure their lifestyle such that they lose weight, which once again touches on the social structures that inform said lifestyle.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2017, 09:11:17 AM

Well, some of us are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2017, 02:24:20 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 14, 2017, 09:11:17 AM

Well, some of us are.

I don't think you're technically retarded. :)