Women seeking abortions in Arkansas now need permission from men

Started by Syt, July 13, 2017, 07:50:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 14, 2017, 12:48:19 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2017, 12:14:33 AM
Quote from: dps on July 13, 2017, 05:01:12 PM

If I'm reading this right, though, the Arkansas law doesn't actually require a woman to get the father to agree to her having an abortion;  rather, she has to get him to agree on how to dispose of the aborted fetus.  No idea how the Federal courts would rule on that;  frankly, I'm not sure I see a federal issue there at all.

In practice, how does this differ from giving the man a veto?

DPS and the author of the article clearly have different readings of the law. I'm sure you can see a practical difference between refusing the woman an abortion vs bagging the remains to send the father afterwards.

I see how the man can say, "I don't agree with any disposal of the remains" thus preventing the abortion all together.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2017, 09:46:25 AM

If I'm reading this right, though, the Arkansas law doesn't actually require a woman to get the father to agree to her having an abortion;  rather, she has to get him to agree on how to dispose of the aborted fetus.  No idea how the Federal courts would rule on that;  frankly, I'm not sure I see a federal issue there at all.

DPS and the author of the article clearly have different readings of the law. I'm sure you can see a practical difference between refusing the woman an abortion vs bagging the remains to send the father afterwards.

I see how the man can say, "I don't agree with any disposal of the remains" thus preventing the abortion all together.

'Okay, then I'm leaving them at your place - unless you consider your home a garbage heap.'
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2017, 09:51:25 AM

'Okay, then I'm leaving them at your place - unless you consider your home a garbage heap.'

Exactly.  It wouldn't prevent the abortion.

On one hand, it does complicate things, and I can't see how it serves any public purpose, so the Federal courts might strike it down;  OTOH, on the face of it, it doesn't actually seem to prevent anyone from getting an abortion, so they might not.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2017, 09:51:25 AM

I don't get it. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

It's Arkansas so the men often have several roles in this process. Makes sense that they should have a bigger say.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.