Main Menu

Turkish ?

Started by Armyknife, July 11, 2009, 08:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

It's like a soft ethnic cleansing.

Maximus

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

I want to be in the room when Grumbler is verbally abusing someone. It is a thing of beauty.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 11, 2009, 05:05:44 PM
I want to be in the room when Grumbler is verbally abusing someone. It is a thing of beauty.

When he's in the room with the person he probably physically abuses them as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2009, 05:08:55 PM

When he's in the room with the person he probably physically abuses them as well.

Even better.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2009, 05:08:55 PM

:yeahright: The school board never managed to prove that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

I wish there were a functioning ignore function.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on July 11, 2009, 07:26:24 PM
I wish there were a functioning ignore function.
There is one, if your brain is functioning.  You just ignore posters whose posts you think unworthy of your lifespan.

I have used this method with one poster here for a year or so, with great success.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Queequeg

Turks usually jump to defend Turkic-Muslim peoples from any kind of perceived threat with a special ferocity.  Probably has to do with a combination of rampant nationalism, an inferiority complex, misplaced feelings about the genocide and a lot of bad memories from the decline of the Ottoman Empire (say the Russian or general Christian mistreatment of Muslims in reconquered areas).

EDIT: Although, interestingly, they seem to forget how much we've helped Albanains and Bosnians in the last two decades, or that we let them invade, ethnically cleanse and colonize helped them become peace keepers in Cyprus.

For anybody curious, look up Iğdır Soykırım Anıt-Müzesi, the Igdir Genocide Monument and Museum, built to remember the massacres of Turks committed by Armenians.  It is within sight of Mount Ararat, interestingly enough.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on July 12, 2009, 12:39:21 AM
Turks usually jump to defend Turkic-Muslim peoples from any kind of perceived threat with a special ferocity.  Probably has to do with a combination of rampant nationalism, an inferiority complex, misplaced feelings about the genocide and a lot of bad memories from the decline of the Ottoman Empire

So they're like a Muslim version of Post-Soviet Russians?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2009, 12:43:55 AM
So they're like a Muslim version of Post-Soviet Russians?
Almost exactly.  Turkey and Russia are mirror images of each other; the same influences, very similar temperaments, both for good and ill.    I think the relationship modern Turkey has with the OE is also fantastically similar to the relationship modern Russia has with the USSR.  Though,  I have to say, building a monument to "genocide of Turks" right next to Ararat would be a little....belligerent even for Russia.  Like building a new monument to Beria in Smolensk to commemorate the brave Soviet soldiers who invaded Poland with Nazi Germany in 1939. 

Though I wouldn't really put that past Putin at this point, either. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."