Saudi Arabia,UAE,Egypt,Bahrain break diplomatic ties with Qatar over 'terrorism'

Started by Syt, June 05, 2017, 02:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

The ultimatum thing and the A-H vs Serbia example made me think:

Did the average, news-sensitive western citizen had even slightly more idea what the hell was going on in the Balkans and regarding Austro-Hungarian motivations than we do about Qatar and the Middle East? I mean sure, they knew about the assassination, but other than that?

Archy

I don't think so. In france it wasn't even headline news during the time period of the ultimatum. The scandal wth Henriette Caillaux made the headlines than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henriette_Caillaux

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2017, 05:52:59 AM

Did the average, news-sensitive western citizen had even slightly more idea what the hell was going on in the Balkans and regarding Austro-Hungarian motivations than we do about Qatar and the Middle East? I mean sure, they knew about the assassination, but other than that?

We knew what was going on in the Balkans in '91, and nobody in Europe wanted to do shit about it.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 27, 2017, 06:08:11 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 27, 2017, 05:52:59 AM

We knew what was going on in the Balkans in '91, and nobody in Europe wanted to do shit about it.

Wasn't our fight, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Of course it was, niggerhater.  One of the destabilizing side effects of genocide in Europe has an annoying habit of inventing piles of dead American soldiers.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on June 26, 2017, 06:47:11 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 26, 2017, 06:13:25 PM
Why do I get an Austria to Serbia vibe from their ultimatum list?  I'm definitely behind Qatar in this mess.

That would imply Trump's White House* is Imperial Germany, Turkey as France, Egypt as the Ottoman empire, Iran as Russia, Pakistan is Italy, India possibly a more distant British empire and nobody playing the role of Woodrow Wilson's America**.

* I think it's important to start making the distinction between that condo vs America and Americans at large, not that that will stop Americans getting killed in the line of duty for Trump's latest folly.

** just for shit and giggles, say what about Putin's Russia. picking up the choice pieces after the region has gone to hell in a handcart?

How can we be Germany in this if we already have a huge military base in Qatar?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Ultimatum extended by 48 hours.  It was nice of them to not start the war during the holiday weekend.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2017, 11:52:37 AM
Ultimatum extended by 48 hours.  It was nice of them to not start the war during the holiday weekend.

This race to the bottom they're having with Trump, to see who has the most stupid foreign policy, is rewriting the probable box titles in Money's future pristine boardgame collection.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 03, 2017, 12:06:30 PM
This race to the bottom they're having with Trump, to see who has the most stupid foreign policy, is rewriting the probable box titles in Money's future pristine boardgame collection.   :)

They're made of paper products, so even if they don't spontaneously ignite from the detonation flash, they're useless against fallout.

Ed Anger

A stack of War in the Pacific games will block fallout.

Assuming they are the Decision games version.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Games that are still wrapped in plastic are easy to decontaminate. Fallout shouldn't be a big problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.