News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Anyone here hit by the Ransom Ware attack?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2017, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

My password tool is a little black book.  Threat vector has remained unchanged in 30 years.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2017, 07:59:52 AM
My password tool is a little black book.  Threat vector has remained unchanged in 30 years.

Haven't you lived in different places in the last 30 years?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 08:23:48 AM

I really don't see where I have lived would have altered my malware or other cyber security threat profiles, Cuntilly Lace.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2017, 08:30:59 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 08:23:48 AM

I really don't see where I have lived would have altered my malware or other cyber security threat profiles, Cuntilly Lace.

You don't think your living situation would alter the extent to which someone could pilfer a physical book?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 08:39:54 AM
You don't think your living situation would alter the extent to which someone could pilfer a physical book?

No. Would yours, you snarky little cunt?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2017, 08:42:03 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2017, 08:39:54 AM

No. Would yours, you snarky little cunt?

Yes. :huh:

I mean like say a person living on their own with loose women traipsing about vs. a person living with their parents. When in the latter context, probably a bit more snooping. :D

CountDeMoney

That's the problem with this generation's business intelligence monkeys: so damned concerned about getting a keylogger onto your machine, they don't bother looking in the desk drawer for the address book with all the passwords first.

Then again, I once watched a team spend 10 minutes trying to take apart a door at its hinges before I reached over and turned the unlocked doorknob.  So maybe it's just me, being old-fashioned and not keeping up with the times and shit. 

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 03, 2017, 01:58:08 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2017, 11:13:34 AM
use a software like Lastpass.  One password to rule them all.

Eh. I cycle a half-dozen different "strong" passwords, and change different ones into the rotation periodically. LastPass is easy, but it's only as good as your master password- not crazy about making it a SPOF for all my passwords.
the problem with strong passwords is you keep forgetting them.  I once spent two full evenings cycling throug possible "strong passwords" I used.  I had an idea what they were, but forgot the exact combo.

Hence, Lastpass and it's 24 long passkey is good for me.  I put in there a simple passphrase I remember for each account, and I'm good.  And there's a tool to check if any of your password have found their way onto some leaked site, and so far, I'm ok.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on July 03, 2017, 03:56:46 AM
Yeah, I really don't trust these one password tools.
Especially since I sometimes want to login to my online stuff from elsewhere
If you use LastPass, you can gain access to your account from any machine, provided you set up your phone to be your secondary device for two factor id.  Once you make it recognize the computer, it will no longer need it for each subsequent time you log on to your account.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

sbr

I use KeyPass myself; have been for a couple of years now and very happy with it.  I only have to remember one password - mine is 20+ characters of all different types - then copy paste the passwords into the login fields.  There is a copy of the password database in my Dropbox for accessing stuff away from home.