Anyone here hit by the Ransom Ware attack?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 14, 2017, 09:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
Everything belongs to God, you are only the steward. So pay your church 10%. Rent I guess.

Protection money. if you don't pay it bad things happen to you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 15, 2017, 02:19:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 15, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
Everything belongs to God, you are only the steward. So pay your church 10%. Rent I guess.

Protection money. if you don't pay it bad things happen to you.

God the Father = The Godfather.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Seems there's been another wave.
And I'm quite paranoid.
Last night my computer randomly gave me a message speaking of backing up encrypted files though I'm not using any encryption software.
Googling I see messages going way back of people getting this. Windows 10 itself encrypting features of itself that aren't used for storage. But still :ph34r:
Next time I plan to turn on my computer I'm disconnecting all my removables first and then doing a full virus scan. Maybe go right into safe mode.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2017, 12:03:43 PM
And I'm quite paranoid.
Last night my computer randomly gave me a message speaking of backing up encrypted files though I'm not using any encryption software.
Googling I see messages going way back of people getting this. Windows 10 itself encrypting features of itself that aren't used for storage. But still :ph34r:
Next time I plan to turn on my computer I'm disconnecting all my removables first and then doing a full virus scan. Maybe go right into safe mode.
use an offline scanner like Kaspersky.  Find a clean computer, create it at work, maybe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

The Power Grid is gonna go down in one of these attacks one of these days and you people are FUCKED.

Don't bother looting Best Buy.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Oh man, one of my clients got hit and all of their emails and phones are down. I would not want to be their IT group now nor their CTO.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Josquius

As thought i was being a overly paranoid nut.
Nonetheless there are an awful lot of encrypted files on my computer. I suspect something to do with my old windows 7 install. Curious.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2017, 12:20:08 PM
As thought i was being a overly paranoid nut.
Nonetheless there are an awful lot of encrypted files on my computer. I suspect something to do with my old windows 7 install. Curious.
use disk cleanup to remove your old Win7 leftovers.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

We're fine.  My CIO's biggest priority is always IT security and zero downtime.  Dude used to run IT at the CME where obviously things like that are mission critical there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on June 27, 2017, 12:03:43 PM
And I'm quite paranoid.

Bitlocker = Windows' built-in file encryption.
Cryptolocker = change your underpants.

And for the love of god, stop letting your browser keep temp files after you close your session. Is it a pain having to type in passwords a bit more frequently? Yes. Is it worth the risk of malware? Hell no.
Experience bij!

viper37

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 02, 2017, 08:15:11 AM
And for the love of god, stop letting your browser keep temp files after you close your session. Is it a pain having to type in passwords a bit more frequently? Yes. Is it worth the risk of malware? Hell no.
use a software like Lastpass.  One password to rule them all.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2017, 11:13:34 AM
use a software like Lastpass.  One password to rule them all.

Eh. I cycle a half-dozen different "strong" passwords, and change different ones into the rotation periodically. LastPass is easy, but it's only as good as your master password- not crazy about making it a SPOF for all my passwords.
Experience bij!

Josquius

Yeah, I really don't trust these one password tools.
Especially since I sometimes want to login to my online stuff from elsewhere
██████
██████
██████