And we're back!

Main Menu

Cheap Housing and a Good Economy

Started by Jacob, June 28, 2017, 11:55:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 29, 2017, 08:30:14 AM

Spicy:

What? I need to say it with a lisp? Mention helicopter rides?

you need to spit and fiddle with a gun or rifle of some sort. 
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2017, 08:39:59 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2017, 08:30:12 AM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2017, 07:48:52 AM
A homeowner intending to stay in the home for a long time wants prices low. Because your property tax is tied to house values.

That is a popular misconception.  Property taxes are based on a mill rate.  If all property value increased at the same rate all property taxes would remain the same.  Even though Vancouver property values have increased rapidly, some people actually experienced a decrease in property tax because their properties did not increase as much as others.

Huh?

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=25d4d85a42c74510VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

QuoteResidential Properties

The City levy has been calculated by multiplying your property's 2017 phased-in assessment by the City's tax rate, as approved by Toronto City Council.

The education levy is calculated by multiplying your 2017 phased-in assessment by the education tax rate, as set by the Province of Ontario.

The City Building fund is calculated by multiplying your 2017 phased-in assessment by the City Building fund levy, as approved by Toronto City Council.

Example:

Estimated taxes on a residential property with an Assessed Value of $587,471

Estimated property tax   = Assessed Value x Residential Tax Rate

= $587,471 x 0.6616472%
= $3,886.98

Personal anecdote: my property was assessed as being (much) more valuable last year than the year before, so my taxes went up; I appealed the assessment; I won. My taxes went down.

It is all tied to the assessed value of the property. If your property is more valuable - you pay more. At least, here.

Maybe in some theoretical universe the rate would go down if all properties became more valuable simultaneously, but I've never actually experienced that ...

If property values in Toronto increased by say 30%, are you suggesting that the city received 30% more tax revenue.  I think that even Toronto would use a mill rate  ;)

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2017, 08:49:33 AM

If property values in Toronto increased by say 30%, are you suggesting that the city received 30% more tax revenue.  I think that even Toronto would use a mill rate  ;)

I'm sure city council could find a way to waste 30% more money, if they really tried.  :lol:

However, point taken: what stay at home homeowners really want, is for their particular property to be low value. If everyone elses'  property increases in value, so much the better.

Their own property increasing in value = more taxes.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2017, 12:49:34 AM
I thought Germany had a big culture of renting rather than buying?

Plus rent control e.g rent mirror.

viper37

Quote from: The Larch on June 29, 2017, 05:38:32 AM
Moreover, agricultural land is not where housing construction is needed, so I can't see how one could affect the other.
the article said the government was giving new lands to the cities to build more houses.  I assumed they would be agricultural lands, or forest lands.  But it's possible they converted old industrial sites not needed anymore in eastern germany.  Or they drain marshes.  I'm not an expert in Germany's geography and economy, I'm just guessing from what I read.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zanza

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 29, 2017, 09:59:58 AM

Does not work as there are very few complaints against price gouging by landlords.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zanza on June 29, 2017, 04:02:41 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 29, 2017, 09:59:58 AM

Does not work as there are very few complaints against price gouging by landlords.

Well, Tyr and I think of London and Paris prices respectively I believe, so Germany is obviously much better. I mean, Frankfurt rents are or used to be half of Parisian rents. Then I also heard from people who stayed there that gentrification also started to mess things up there, even in the red light district near the Hauptbahnhof.

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Spicy:

Helicopter rides is a start, even though I've never said that myself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

I did write "taxation is theft" on the tip line for dinner tonight. Then I tipped 30% in cash. Gal earned it.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2017, 08:39:26 PM

Spicy:

Pinochet up a thread on a web forum. It's hilarious.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 01, 2017, 08:42:01 PM

Spicy:

Did that on EU, if not here as well.

Also did that with some if the in-laws. Did not go as well.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on July 01, 2017, 08:44:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 01, 2017, 08:42:01 PM

Spicy:

Did that on EU, if not here as well.

Also did that with some if the in-laws. Did not go as well.

Spicy talking to his in-laws:

HEY YOU GREASY BASTARDS! YOU NEED A HELICOPTER RIDE.