News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gorsuch = Clarence Thomas Jr.

Started by The Minsky Moment, June 26, 2017, 03:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Just focusing on the orders released today:

+ The Court ruled that if a state provides for listing a male spouse's name on a child's birth certificate, the same treatment must be extended to a female spouse, as per Obergefell, same sex couples are to receive the same treatment under the law as mixed sex couples.  Gorsuch dissented, joined by Thomas and Alito
+ He joined Thomas in dissenting from a denial of certiorari in a gun case decided on entirely procedural grounds, demanding that the Court seek an immediate opportunity to address the constitutional merits of conceal carry regulation
+ He wrote another denial of certiorari, joined by Thomas, pushing to take on a 5th amendment "takings" case.

Previously, Gorsuch has written one unanimous opinion for the Court, on an uncontroversial issue.  His other two opinions were a concurrence and dissent, again joined only by Thomas in both cases. 

Very early returns, but it doesn't look good.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

He's new to this, and not steeped in the protocols of being a justice.  He's learning as he goes.

CountDeMoney

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Is Jr the one who never asks anything?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

OttoVonBismarck

When you have imbeciles like Sotomayor on the left I'll take Gorsuch to keep the Supreme Court from turning us into some leftist utopia.

Grey Fox

Yes because giving more rights to profit hungry dehumanizing companies is better.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 27, 2017, 10:22:42 AM
When you have imbeciles like Sotomayor on the left I'll take Gorsuch to keep the Supreme Court from turning us into some leftist utopia.

I don't buy into the idea of balancing a bad justice with another bad justice on the other ideological side.  The Court is very, very far from being a leftist utopia.  It is a center-right Court, but with three hard right justices, a couple of vacancies could shift it well to the right.
--Joan Robinson

OttoVonBismarck

No I agree the court could use more Roberts/Kennedy or even Kagan types than Gorsuch--who I have to admit I'm disappointed in, he's looking to be more like Sotomayor in that he's a smart legal mind but he appears inclined to rule and write opinions that are basically expressions of his political beliefs and that are really impossible to reconcile with good jurisprudence or even be consistent with his own professed judicial ideology. It is early times, though.

I don't believe Gorsuch is actually unfit, he has the resume and the IQ, so he's not quite as bad as Clarence Thomas (I really think Thomas personal behaviors and his obvious lack of intelligence on part with a typical SCOTUS Justice should've prevented him being put on the court), but I could view Gorsuch as a downgrade from Scalia. Scalia was much maligned but did, from time to time, issue surprising rulings that showed he had some core belief system beyond just spewing out conservative political desires, especially on some of his 4th Amendment decisions.

What I was simply saying is "I'll take a Gorsuch" if that's the best we're likely to see, over a left-leaning version of him (Sotomayor.)

CountDeMoney

And yes, that will be the best you're going to get, because Pryor is next.