News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Separatism and you

Started by Maladict, June 10, 2017, 04:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these separatist movements do you sympathize with?

Quebec
8 (22.2%)
Catalunya
9 (25%)
Basque country
9 (25%)
Corsica
4 (11.1%)
Kurdistan (Turkey and Iraq)
33 (91.7%)
Republika Srpska
5 (13.9%)
Scotland
12 (33.3%)
Ireland (unification)
13 (36.1%)
CSA II
2 (5.6%)
None, separatism is treason
2 (5.6%)
None, I don't like change (mono)
0 (0%)
Other:
3 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Barrister

No option for Western Canadian Independence?!? :ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2017, 08:29:32 AM
I think there are more cases than that.  Democratic countries, to stay democratic, have to not have divisions that trump all else.  If there are such divisions, then politics inside that country becomes zero-sum total war.  In that case it would be to the benefit of everyone in the country to separate into more homogeneous blocks rather than have to endure perpetually festering internal problems.
The question was who do you sympathize with. I have no sympathy for groups that create divisions that trump all else on an ethnic or nationalistic basis. The ideal is to get rid of such groups, not reward them.

DGuller

Quote from: Maximus on June 10, 2017, 09:35:09 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2017, 08:29:32 AM
I think there are more cases than that.  Democratic countries, to stay democratic, have to not have divisions that trump all else.  If there are such divisions, then politics inside that country becomes zero-sum total war.  In that case it would be to the benefit of everyone in the country to separate into more homogeneous blocks rather than have to endure perpetually festering internal problems.
The question was who do you sympathize with. I have no sympathy for groups that create divisions that trump all else on an ethnic or nationalistic basis. The ideal is to get rid of such groups, not reward them.
Sometimes things are what they are, regardless of what you think they should be.

Maximus

But that wasn't the question.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2017, 09:30:25 AM

I'm sure the First Nations would appreciate it.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 10, 2017, 09:30:25 AM

Not sure Cascadia would take Alberta anyhow.

Razgovory

I just don't know if an independent Quebec would be positive.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maladict

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2017, 06:49:43 AM

PS: funny how a Batavian forgot about Flanders/Belgium/Wallonia.  :P

I didn't forget, but I thought it wasn't quite the same as the others as it would make the original country disappear entirely.
Although maybe not so different from Bosnia actually.

And yes, I was born in Ulpia Noviomagus Batavorum  :juliuscivilis:

Grallon

Québec because multiculturalism ;)

I hope you're joking!  Multikulti is a fucking cancer - anywhere it spreads!

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on June 10, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
Québec because multiculturalism ;)

I hope you're joking!  Multikulti is a fucking cancer - anywhere it spreads!

G.

Multikulti :punk:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

It sounds like it's time for Grallon to assimilate into the dominant Canadian culture.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.