And we're back!

Main Menu

Puerto Rico Statehood Referendum

Started by Jacob, June 09, 2017, 05:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 10, 2017, 07:10:21 AM
18 minute interview with Ricardo Rossello, the governor of Puerto Rico

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/09/statehood-sovereignty-bankrupt-puerto-rico-heads-to-ballot-box-for-status-vote.html

Why did you post that? Do you think anyone here watched it? You didn't even give a summary of anything about the interview, other than it is obnoxiously long.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

AnchorClanker

If they want to be a state, let them come in as a state.

102 Senators would be interesting.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2017, 09:37:20 PM

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/09/statehood-sovereignty-bankrupt-puerto-rico-heads-to-ballot-box-for-status-vote.html

Why did you post that? Do you think anyone here watched it? You didn't even give a summary of anything about the interview, other than it is obnoxiously long.

I'm here. I watched it. So, yes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Blah, the GOP will just seize on the low turn out to ignore this.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/amid-historically-low-turnout-puerto-ricans-vote-statehood-n770801
QuoteAs of 7pET, the island's election commission (CEE in Spanish) had reported that about 23 percent of the island's eligible voters had cast ballots, about 500,000 votes. About 97 percent of the votes were for statehood.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Dude better change his name to Dick Russel if he wants any respect.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2017, 06:41:44 PM

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/amid-historically-low-turnout-puerto-ricans-vote-statehood-n770801
QuoteAs of 7pET, the island's election commission (CEE in Spanish) had reported that about 23 percent of the island's eligible voters had cast ballots, about 500,000 votes. About 97 percent of the votes were for statehood.

97 percent? Ok you would rarely get a vote that unanimous even if we were voting on 'resolved: teddy bears are cuddly'

And why was the turnout so low?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 11, 2017, 10:53:30 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2017, 06:41:44 PM

97 percent? Ok you would rarely get a vote that unanimous even if we were voting on 'resolved: teddy bears are cuddly'

And why was the turnout so low?

No other elections were happening and the opposition parties boycoted because they knew they'd lose.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2017, 10:56:29 PM
No other elections were happening and the opposition parties boycoted because they knew they'd lose.

That's BS. Let their governor start their Tennessee Plan and let them experience the "no minimum turnout threshold" that the rest of us American citizens get to enjoy.
Experience bij!

Valmy

I agree. Boycotting to de-legitimize elections is a bunch of garbage. Good luck to the PR government in joining the Union.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

If they don't give a shit I don't see why we should.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2017, 01:40:56 PM
If they don't give a shit I don't see why we should.

Having territories is un-American. That is why I care. Get rid of them or make them states.

It was never intended to be a permanent thing.

In any case are you really going to let yourself be fooled by these electoral shenanigans? 23% is more than many local elections in the US get and last I checked they all count.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2017, 01:44:15 PM

Having territories is un-American.

The states have had these territories going on for like 120 years now, yes? How long does it have to go on before it's no longer un-American? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Ok that's fair :P

Counter to American values then.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2017, 01:51:35 PM
Ok that's fair :P

Counter to American values then.

that means less than it did before november last year...